Rms velocity of electron in free space?

In summary, the average drift velocity of a hole is approximately 9 orders of magnitude smaller than the RMS thermal velocity of an electron moving in free space. This can be calculated using the law of equipartition and assuming room temperature for the energy of the electron. The calculated RMS thermal velocity is 110,000 m/s, while the drift velocity is 2.5 x 10-4 m/s.
Brennen berkley

Homework Statement

How many orders of magnitude smaller is the average drift velocity of a hole than the RMS thermal velocity of an electron moving in free space? (Use the law of equipartition to find the RMS thermal velocity of a free electron.)

This is the last part of the problem, I have already found the drift velocity to be 2.5 x 10-4

Homework Equations

vrms = √3kT/m
This is for an ideal gas, so I'm not sure if it applies.

The Attempt at a Solution

I know I need to find the energy of an electron, but I can't seem to find anything about how to calculate that in a vacuum, just how to find it based on pressure and temperature.

Physics news on Phys.org
Electrons in free space are close to a perfect gas. You can probably assume room temperature.

Ok, with those assumptions I get 110,000 m/s, which is 9 orders of magnitude higher than the drift velocity. Thanks

Related to Rms velocity of electron in free space?

1. What is the definition of Rms velocity of electron in free space?

The root-mean-square (Rms) velocity of an electron in free space is the average velocity of a large number of electrons moving in random directions. It is a measure of the overall speed of the electrons in a given space.

2. How is Rms velocity of electron in free space calculated?

The Rms velocity of an electron in free space can be calculated using the formula:
Vrms = √(3kT/m)
Where k is the Boltzmann constant, T is the temperature in Kelvin, and m is the mass of the electron.

3. What is the significance of Rms velocity of electron in free space?

The Rms velocity of an electron in free space is an important concept in the study of electron dynamics and electron transport in materials. It helps determine the average speed of the electrons in a given space, which is crucial in understanding various physical phenomena.

4. How does temperature affect the Rms velocity of electron in free space?

According to the formula, the Rms velocity of an electron in free space is directly proportional to the square root of temperature. This means that as temperature increases, the Rms velocity of electrons also increases. This relationship is consistent with the kinetic theory of gases.

5. Is the Rms velocity of electron in free space constant?

No, the Rms velocity of an electron in free space is not constant. It depends on the temperature and the mass of the electron, which may vary in different environments. Additionally, the Rms velocity is an average value and individual electrons may have different velocities depending on their direction and energy levels.