Rlc problem: calculations of components and phasor drawing

In summary, the homework statement is trying to find impedance and Io for a rlc circuit. They calculated Xl and Xc separately and found that Xl was 329Ω and Xc was 303Ω. This gave them an impedance of 28Ω. Their phasor diagram would be 329Ω on the +y axis, 10Ω on the + x-axis and 303Ω on the -y axis. Their values are pretty much the same as yours.
XYZ^2

Homework Statement

Find impedance and Io.
draw phasor diagram for rlc circuit
V = 120cos(2π525t) where R = 10Ω, C = 1μF, L = 100mH, Vo = 120V

Homework Equations

Z = √(R2 + (ωL-1/(ωC))^2) = √(10^2 + (2π * 525 Hz * 100 mH - 1/(2π * 525 Hz * 1 μF ))^2) = 28.525Ω

Io = Vo/Z = 120 V / 28.525 Ω = 4.207 A

tan ϕ = (ωL - 1/(ωC))/R = (2π525 * 100 mH - 1/(2π525 *1 μF)) / 10 Ω = -15882.508
ϕ = -1.5707 rad = -89.996°

VRo = IoR = 4.207 A * 10Ω = 42.07 V
VCo = Io/(ωC) = 4.207 A / (2π525 * 1 μF) = 1275.361611 V
VLo = IoωL = 4.207 A * 2π525 * 100 mH = 1387.751431 V

Vo = √(VR02 + (VLo- VCo)^2 ) = 120.0056523 V

The Attempt at a Solution

I get a negative phase angle which should mean that capacitance is greater than inductance but this is not the case based on values above.
when I draw out a rough phasor diagram I have voltage ahead of current.
not sure where i went wrong.
note: diagram attached is rough and not to perfect scale

Attachments

• rlc.jpg
    rlc.jpg
    11.3 KB · Views: 387
Physics news on Phys.org
I calculated Xl and Xc separately and got Xl = 329Ω and Xc = 303Ω
This gave me an impedance of 28Ω and I = 4.3A
My (Xl-Xc) = 26Ω which gives Tan∅ = 2.6 (leading)
My phasor diagram would be 329Ω on the +y axis, 10Ω on the + x-axis and 303Ω on the -y axis (I don't know how to get drawings on here yet !
My values are pretty much the same as yours !
I prefer to work out individual quantities rather than lump every thing together in one equation.
I cannot see where our answers differ !
Hope this helps
Just ocurred to me... did you change mH into H and μF into F in your phase angle calculation?

thanks
i did convert mH and μF in my calculations to H and F...
I finally realized that I had left out the 525 in calculating XC. now i get tanϕ = 2.671 , which is voltage leading...which soothes my brain

working out individual quantities probably would have saved me the headache. next time i won't plug in the whole thing in excel.

Well done... no lack of understanding, that is the main thing.

, but it should give a general idea of the phasor relationships in this circuit.
Based on your calculations, it seems that you have correctly determined the impedance (Z) and the current (Io) in the RLC circuit. The negative phase angle can be attributed to the fact that the inductive reactance (ωL) is greater than the capacitive reactance (1/(ωC)), leading to a net inductive effect in the circuit. This can happen even if the values of L and C are not exactly equal, as long as the inductance is significantly larger than the capacitance.

In terms of the phasor diagram, the voltage should indeed be ahead of the current, as the voltage across the inductor (VLo) and the voltage across the capacitor (VCo) are out of phase with each other. This can be seen in the equation for Vo, where the two voltages are added together using the Pythagorean theorem. The phasor diagram you have drawn is consistent with this relationship.

Overall, it seems that your calculations and phasor diagram are correct and you have a good understanding of how to solve for impedance and draw phasor diagrams in RLC circuits. Good job!

Related to Rlc problem: calculations of components and phasor drawing

1. What is an RLC circuit?

An RLC circuit is an electrical circuit that contains a resistor (R), an inductor (L), and a capacitor (C) connected in series or parallel. These components are used to create a circuit that can store and release energy, and are commonly used in electronics and electrical engineering applications.

2. What is the purpose of calculating components in an RLC circuit?

The calculation of components in an RLC circuit is important for determining the behavior and performance of the circuit. This includes calculating the impedance, resonant frequency, and power factor, which can help in designing and optimizing circuits for specific purposes.

3. How are components calculated in an RLC circuit?

The calculation of components in an RLC circuit involves using Ohm's law and the equations for calculating impedance, resonant frequency, and power factor. These calculations take into account the values of the resistor, inductor, and capacitor, as well as the frequency of the input signal.

4. What is a phasor drawing in an RLC circuit?

A phasor drawing is a graphical representation of the different components in an RLC circuit. It shows the amplitude and phase relationship between the voltage and current in the circuit, and is useful for understanding the behavior of the circuit at different frequencies.

5. How is a phasor drawing used in solving RLC circuit problems?

A phasor drawing is used to visualize the relationship between the different components in an RLC circuit and can help in solving problems related to impedance, resonant frequency, and power factor. By analyzing the phasor diagram, one can determine the values of the components and their effect on the circuit's performance.