I still seem to be off!Solving RCL Circuit w/Iron Core at Resonance

In summary, when an iron core is added to the inductor in an RCL circuit at resonance, the frequency of the generator remains the same, but the self-inductance of the inductor is doubled. This results in a phase angle of 58.9 degrees and an impedance of 38.7 Ω in the circuit. The phasor diagram at 4.1267 ms shows a vertical component of 20 V and horizontal components of 29.6 V, -14.9 V, and 5.18 V for the voltages across the inductor, capacitor, and resistor respectively. These values follow Kirchoff's voltage rule, demonstrating the validity of the calculations.
ParoXsitiC

Homework Statement

The AC power supply (maxium voltage 20.0V) in RCL circuit is run at resonance for the following parameters:

R = 20.0 Ω
L = 88.0 mH
C = 79.9 μF

When an iron core is added to the inductor, the self-inductance is doubled

A) Find the frequency of the generator
B) After the core had been added, find the phase angle and impedance in the circuit.
C) Draw phasor diagram at time 4.1267 ms
D) Find the voltages across each circuit element at this time and show that they follow Kirchoff's voltage rule.

Homework Equations

σ = tan-1 ([itex]\frac{X_{L}-X_{C}}{R}[/itex])

XL = ωL
XC = [itex]\frac{1}{ωC}[/itex]

@ Resonance XL = XC
frequency (f) = [itex]\frac{ω}{2\pi}[/itex]
impedance (z) = [itex]\sqrt{(R)^2+(X_{L}-X_{C})^2}[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

A)

ω= [itex]\frac{1}{\sqrt{LC}}[/itex] = 377 rad/s
frequency (f) = [itex]\frac{ω}{2\pi}[/itex] = [itex]\frac{377 rad/s}{2\pi}[/itex] = 592 Hz

B)

Assuming ω stays the same, L is now 2*88.0 mH = 176 mH

XL = ωL = (377 rad/s)(176 mH) = 66.3

XC = [itex]\frac{1}{ωC}[/itex] = [itex]\frac{1}{(377 rad/s)(79.9 μF)}[/itex] = 33.2

σ = tan-1 ([itex]\frac{X_{L}-X_{C}}{R}[/itex]) = tan-1 ([itex]\frac{66.3-33.2}{20 Ω}[/itex]) = 58.9 degrees

impedance (z) = [itex]\sqrt{(R)^2+(X_{L}-X_{C})^2}[/itex] = [itex]\sqrt{(20 Ω)^2+(66.3-33.2)^2}[/itex] = 38.7 Ω

C)

E = Emax sin (ωt) = 20.0 v sin(377 rad/s 4.167 ms) ≈ 20 v

Thus Emax should be vertical, and the phase angle of 58.9 degrees is between Vr (also Imax) and Emax

qRfNN.png

D)

This is where I am stuck...

I know the vertical components should all equal 0.

Emax = 20 v
VL = XL Sin(180-59.8) = 66.3 Sin(120.2) = 57.3 v

VC = XC Sin(0-59.8) = 33.2 Sin(-59.8) = -28.7 v

VR = R sin(90-59.8) = 20 Ω sin(30.2) = 10.1 v

-20 + 57.3 - 28.7 + 10.1 ≠ 0

OK, so this isn't the right way... maybe using Imax..

Imax = [itex]\frac{E_{max}}{z}[/itex] = [itex]\frac{20.0 v}{38.7 Ω}[/itex] = 0.517 A

Emax = 20 v
VL = XL Imax = 66.3 * 0.517 = 34.3 v

VC = XC Imax = 33.2 * 0.517 = 17.2 v

VR = R Imax = 20 Ω * 0.517 = 10.3 v

-20 + 34.3 - 17.2 + 10.3 ≠ 0

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I realized my mistake. Combination of both attempts really...

I was assuming since the graph of reactance was similar to voltages that it would make sense to use them in the calculation but now I see I should first find the max voltage using the impedance multipled by max current, and then getting max voltage use it with trig.

For future googler's, here is how it's done.

Imax = [itex]\frac{E_{max}}{z}[/itex] = [itex]\frac{20.0 v}{38.7 Ω}[/itex] = 0.517 A

Emax= 20 v
VLmax = XL Imax = 66.3 * 0.517 = 34.3 v

VCmax = XC Imax = 33.2 * 0.517 = 17.2 v

VRmax = R Imax = 20 Ω * 0.517 = 10.3 v

vertical components should all equal 0.

E = EMax Sin(0) = 20.0 Sin(0) =20.0 v
VL = VLmax Sin(180-59.8) = 34.3 v Sin(120.2) = 29.6 v

VC = VCmax Sin(0-59.8) = 17.2 v Sin(-59.8) = -14.9 v

VR = VRmax sin(90-59.8) = 10.3 v sin(30.2) = 5.18 v

-20 + 29.6 - 14.9 + 5.18 = -0.12 (Due to significant figures and rounding) ≈ 0

Last edited:

Related to I still seem to be off!Solving RCL Circuit w/Iron Core at Resonance

1. What is the purpose of solving RCL circuit with an iron core at resonance?

The purpose of this is to determine the behavior and characteristics of a circuit containing a resistor (R), capacitor (C), and inductor (L) with an iron core at resonance. Resonance occurs when the inductive and capacitive reactances cancel each other out, resulting in maximum current flow and minimum impedance in the circuit.

2. How do you calculate the resonance frequency for an RCL circuit with an iron core?

The resonance frequency can be calculated using the formula f0 = 1 / (2π√(LC)), where f0 is the resonance frequency, L is the inductance of the circuit, and C is the capacitance of the circuit. In the case of an iron core, the inductance will be affected by the presence of the core and must be taken into account in the calculation.

3. What are the advantages of using an iron core in an RCL circuit at resonance?

Using an iron core in an RCL circuit at resonance can increase the inductance of the circuit, resulting in a higher Q factor (quality factor) and a sharper resonance peak. This makes the circuit more selective in its frequency response and can be beneficial in filtering applications.

4. How do you solve for the impedance of an RCL circuit with an iron core at resonance?

The impedance of an RCL circuit with an iron core at resonance can be calculated using the formula Z = √(R2 + (XL - XC)2), where R is the resistance of the circuit, XL is the inductive reactance, and XC is the capacitive reactance. At resonance, XL and XC will be equal and cancel each other out, resulting in a minimum impedance.

5. What are some practical applications of RCL circuits with iron cores at resonance?

RCL circuits with iron cores at resonance have many practical applications, including in radio and TV tuners, bandpass filters, and oscillators. They can also be used in power supplies to filter out unwanted frequencies and improve the efficiency of the circuit. Additionally, they are commonly used in electronic devices such as speakers and microphones to control the frequency response and improve the overall performance.