Rigorous Multivariable Limit Definition Problem

In summary, the conversation discusses the rigorous definition of limit for a given function and how to approach it. The person mentions trying to constrain the denominator but facing difficulties and looking for help. They also consider shifting the problem and discuss the use of the ε-δ definition in proofs. A typo in the function is pointed out and clarified.
dumbdumNotSmart

Homework Statement

Hey I'm trying to prove the rigorous definition of limit for the following function:
Lim (x,y) approaches (1,1) of f(x,y)=(y*(x-1)^(4/3))/((x/1)^2+abs(x)*y^2)

Homework Equations

abs(x^2)<abs(x^2 +y^2)

The Attempt at a Solution

I know the rigorous definition of limit. I tried to constraint the denominator by eliminating one of the terms since both are greater than zero, however, I was left with what seemed like terms that could not be constrained. I never really done a rigorous definition of limit that's not centered on (0,0). I would appreciate some help.

Physics news on Phys.org
If you feel more comfortable with limits centred at ##(0,0)##, you can deform the problem (in order to get an idea for ##\delta##), by doing a shift ##(x,y)\rightarrow (x-1,y-1)##. I'm assuming proofs are required to be directly from the ##\epsilon##-##\delta## definition?

dumbdumNotSmart said:

Homework Statement

Hey I'm trying to prove the rigorous definition of limit for the following function:
Lim (x,y) approaches (1,1) of f(x,y)=(y*(x-1)^(4/3))/((x/1)^2+abs(x)*y^2)
Typo above? Should the (x/1)^2 be (x - 1)^2?
dumbdumNotSmart said:

Homework Equations

abs(x^2)<abs(x^2 +y^2)

The Attempt at a Solution

I know the rigorous definition of limit. I tried to constraint the denominator by eliminating one of the terms since both are greater than zero, however, I was left with what seemed like terms that could not be constrained. I never really done a rigorous definition of limit that's not centered on (0,0). I would appreciate some help.

Mark44 said:
Typo above? Should the (x/1)^2 be (x - 1)^2?
Yes, that is in fact a typo.

Lucas SV said:
If you feel more comfortable with limits centred at ##(0,0)##, you can deform the problem (in order to get an idea for ##\delta##), by doing a shift ##(x,y)\rightarrow (x-1,y-1)##. I'm assuming proofs are required to be directly from the ##\epsilon##-##\delta## definition?
That's right, however I may constraint the whole thing backwards, that is, work from ε and thereafter find δ in the form of ||(x,y)-(v,w)|| inside the ε I am constraining.(which in the definition of the limit is |f(x,y)-L|<ε L being the Limit I am trying to prove)... I'm not sure how much sense that made, let me know if you need any more clarification. The course is not in english, as you might have noticed.

Related to Rigorous Multivariable Limit Definition Problem

1. What is a rigorous multivariable limit definition problem?

A rigorous multivariable limit definition problem is a mathematical concept that involves determining the behavior of a function as multiple variables approach a specific value. It requires the use of advanced calculus techniques to accurately define and solve the problem.

2. How is a multivariable limit different from a single variable limit?

A multivariable limit involves multiple independent variables, whereas a single variable limit only has one. This means that in a multivariable limit, the function's behavior is affected by the simultaneous approach of more than one variable towards a specific value.

3. What are the key components of a rigorous multivariable limit definition problem?

The key components of a rigorous multivariable limit definition problem include the independent variables, the point at which the limit is being evaluated, and the function itself. These components must be carefully considered and analyzed in order to accurately define and solve the problem.

4. Can a rigorous multivariable limit definition problem have multiple solutions?

Yes, a rigorous multivariable limit definition problem can have multiple solutions. This is because the behavior of a function can differ depending on the approach of the independent variables towards the specific value. The solutions may also vary depending on the specific constraints or conditions given in the problem.

5. How can a rigorous multivariable limit definition problem be applied in real-world situations?

Rigorous multivariable limit definition problems have various applications in fields such as physics, engineering, and economics. For example, in physics, these problems can be used to model the behavior of complex systems, while in economics, they can be used to analyze the relationships between multiple variables in a market or economy.