Rigorous definition of a limit

In summary, a rigorous definition of a limit is a mathematical concept that describes the behavior of a function as its input approaches a certain value. It is defined using the symbol "lim" and is written as "lim x→a f(x) = L". There are one-sided and two-sided limits, with the latter considering the behavior from both sides as the input approaches the given value. A limit exists if the output approaches a single, finite value and the function is defined at all points near the given value. This concept is crucial in calculus for defining continuity, differentiation, and integration, as well as evaluating and analyzing the behavior of complicated functions near certain points.
Painguy
First off I want to apologize for bombarding this subforum with my gazillion questions. If my continuous barrage of questions poses a problem just let me know and I'll stop.

Homework Statement

For each value of ε, find a positive value of δ such that the graph of the function leaves the window (a − δ) < x < (a + δ), (b − ε) < y < (b + ε) by the sides and not through the top or bottom.
g(x) = −x^3 + 2
a = 0
b = 2
ε = 0.1, 0.01, 0.001
For ε = 0.1, δ must be less than or equal to what value?

Homework Equations

0<abs(x-a)<δ then abs(f(x)-b)<ε

The Attempt at a Solution

abs(−x^3 + 2-2)<ε
abs(−x^3)<.1
1.9<−x^3<2.1

0<abs(x-0)<δ
-δ<x<δ

1.9<−x^3
-(1.9^1/3)>x
−x^3<2.1
x>-(2.1^1/3)

(-2.1^1/3)<=δ<x<δ<=-(1.9^1/3)
δ<=-(1.9^1/3) || δ<=-1.2386

Is this right? I tried to get everything to match of properly, but I'm not sure if I did it correctly. I'm not exactly sure what I even did just now :/ Thanks in advance and sorry for all the questions.

Physics news on Phys.org

Thank you for your question. I am here to assist and share knowledge, so please do not apologize for asking questions. It is important to have a clear understanding of concepts and problems in order to find the correct solution.

In this case, we are looking for a positive value of δ such that the graph of the function g(x) = −x^3 + 2 does not cross the window (a − δ) < x < (a + δ), (b − ε) < y < (b + ε) by the sides. We are given a = 0, b = 2, and three values of ε: 0.1, 0.01, and 0.001.

To find the value of δ for each ε, we can use the given equation: 0<abs(x-a)<δ then abs(f(x)-b)<ε. Plugging in the values of a and b, we get:

0<abs(x-0)<δ → 0<x<δ

abs(−x^3 + 2-2)<ε → abs(−x^3)<ε

For ε = 0.1, we have:

abs(−x^3)<0.1

Since we want the graph to not cross the window by the sides, we can set up the following inequalities:

0<x<δ and abs(−x^3)<0.1

Solving for x, we get:

x<δ and −0.1<x^3<0.1

Taking the cube root of both sides, we get:

−0.4641<x<0.4641

Therefore, for ε = 0.1, δ must be less than or equal to 0.4641.

Similarly, for ε = 0.01, we get:

−0.0963<x<0.0963

Therefore, for ε = 0.01, δ must be less than or equal to 0.0963.

For ε = 0.001, we get:

−0.0099<x<0.0099

Therefore, for ε = 0.001, δ must be less than or equal to 0.0099.

I hope this helps clarify the solution. Let me know if you have any further questions. Keep up the good work with your studies!

Related to Rigorous definition of a limit

1. What is a rigorous definition of a limit?

A rigorous definition of a limit is a mathematical concept that describes the behavior of a function as its input approaches a certain value. It is a formal way of expressing the intuitive idea of a function "approaching" a certain value as its input gets closer and closer to that value.

2. How is a limit defined using mathematical notation?

In mathematical notation, a limit is defined using the symbol "lim" followed by the input variable approaching a certain value within parentheses. This is followed by an arrow pointing to the output value that the function approaches as the input approaches the given value. For example, the limit of f(x) as x approaches a would be written as "lim x→a f(x) = L".

3. What is the difference between a one-sided limit and a two-sided limit?

A one-sided limit only considers the behavior of a function as the input approaches a certain value from one specific side (either the left or the right). In contrast, a two-sided limit considers the behavior of the function from both the left and the right as the input approaches the given value.

4. What are the conditions for a limit to exist?

A limit exists if the output of the function approaches a single, finite value as the input approaches the given value. Additionally, the function must be defined at all points near the given value (except possibly at the given value itself).

5. How is the concept of a limit used in calculus?

The concept of a limit is fundamental in calculus, as it allows for the precise definition of important concepts such as continuity, differentiation, and integration. It also allows for the evaluation of complicated functions and the analysis of their behavior near certain points.