Finding delta in terms of epsilon-delta definition

In summary, the solution to this problem is to set δ = ε/3 and to use this value to satisfy the given property. The solution is correct and self-confidence is an important aspect in mathematics.
Bolz

Homework Statement

If f(x) = 3x+1 en assume δ > 0. Assume ε>0.
Give a δ > 0 with the following property :

|x-1|< δ => |f(x) - f(1)| < ε

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

|f(x) - f(1)| < ε
<=> |3x+1-(3*1+1)| < ε
<=> |3x-3| < ε
<=> |x-1| < ε/3

|x-1| < δ
|x-1| < ε/3

=> δ=ε/3>0

What am I doing wrong?

Thanks in advance!

Physics news on Phys.org
Bolz said:

Homework Statement

If f(x) = 3x+1 en assume δ > 0. Assume ε>0.
Give a δ > 0 with the following property :

|x-1|< δ => |f(x) - f(1)| < ε

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

|f(x) - f(1)| < ε
<=> |3x+1-(3*1+1)| < ε
<=> |3x-3| < ε
<=> |x-1| < ε/3

|x-1| < δ
|x-1| < ε/3

=> δ=ε/3>0

What am I doing wrong?

Nothing. Your solution is correct.

Likes 1 person
pasmith said:
Nothing. Your solution is correct.

Oh ok. I'm learning this on my own so I assumed it had to be wrong. Self confidence is important in math too apparently..
Anyway, thanks for checking it! :)

Then it would have been better to ask "Is this correct" rather than "What am I doing wrong"! You are not going to do very well assuming that you cannot do the work.

Likes 1 person
HallsofIvy said:
Then it would have been better to ask "Is this correct" rather than "What am I doing wrong"! You are not going to do very well assuming that you cannot do the work.

Sorry, you're right. I'm just struggling with a lot in life and I think my lack of self confidence leaked into doing math. Sorry again.

Related to Finding delta in terms of epsilon-delta definition

1. What is the purpose of finding delta in terms of epsilon-delta definition?

The purpose of finding delta in terms of epsilon-delta definition is to precisely define the concept of a limit in calculus. This definition allows us to rigorously prove that a function approaches a certain value as the input approaches a specific value.

2. How is delta related to epsilon in the epsilon-delta definition?

In the epsilon-delta definition, delta represents the distance between the input value and the limit value, while epsilon represents the maximum difference between the output value and the limit value. In other words, delta specifies the range in which the input can vary, and epsilon specifies the acceptable range for the output.

3. What are the main steps in finding delta in the epsilon-delta definition?

The main steps in finding delta in the epsilon-delta definition are: 1) Start with the epsilon, which represents the desired precision or accuracy. 2) Use algebraic manipulation to isolate delta in terms of epsilon. 3) Simplify the resulting expression to find the specific value of delta that satisfies the definition.

4. Can delta be any value in the epsilon-delta definition?

No, delta cannot be any value in the epsilon-delta definition. It must be a positive number that is chosen carefully to satisfy the definition. This value is often dependent on both the function being evaluated and the chosen value for epsilon.

5. How does finding delta in the epsilon-delta definition help in proving the existence of a limit?

Finding delta in the epsilon-delta definition provides a precise and rigorous way to prove the existence of a limit. By finding a specific value for delta that satisfies the definition, we can show that the function approaches a specific limit value as the input approaches a certain value, providing evidence for the existence of a limit.