Ridiculously difficult Newtonian physics problem

In summary: You are making things much more difficult than they need be.After simplifying, you have:$$-\int_{r_1}^{r_2} \frac{dr}{dt} =-\frac{\sqrt{2GM(\frac 1 r - \frac 1 {r_1})}}{r}$$And then you can solve for ##t## by setting the derivative to zero:$$t = \frac{\sqrt{2GM(\frac 1 r - \frac 1 {r_1})}}{r}$$
Mason Pulinthanathu
Homework Statement
Derive n expression for the time for an object to move in space from point a to b as a result of the gravitational force of another object
Relevant Equations
MmG/r^2=F | -MmG/r=PE| PE1+KE1=PE2+KE2
physics.PNG
I have been trying out with this one for a long time with no luck getting the exact expression. I am pretty sure this is somehow related to Kepler's third law but unable to establish the connection and the integrals I get from energy conservation yield different results. Any ideas?

Physics news on Phys.org
geekmohmmad said:
Homework Statement:: Derive n expression for the time for an object to move in space from point a to b as a result of the gravitational force of another object
Relevant Equations:: MmG/r^2=F | -MmG/r=PE| PE1+KE1=PE2+KE2

View attachment 257518I have been trying out with this one for a long time with no luck getting the exact expression. I am pretty sure this is somehow related to Kepler's third law but unable to establish the connection and the integrals I get from energy conservation yield different results. Any ideas?
This is quite a well known problem. What do you know about differential equations?

Conservation of energy should give you a differential equation to get you started.

• Love
Likes Mason Pulinthanathu
You're right, this is a ridiculously difficult problem.
It's a non-linear ODE whether you approach it from force, or from energy as post 2 suggests.
Wolfram Alpha gives you an answer for the force way. Ugly!
Then you have r(t) but you want t(r).
That's the best I can think of.
My sympathies!

• Love
Since you are given the solution and are only asked to show it is correct, "all" you need to do is to demonstrate that it satisfies the differential equation and boundary conditions.

• Love
  • Informative
Likes Neeleshatom and Mason Pulinthanathu
87296234_486183958955103_6013091949706215424_n.jpg

Thanks all for the responses. I think this the right path to derive it, but I am unable to solve this integral.

PeroK said:
This is quite a well known problem. What do you know about differential equations?

Conservation of energy should give you a differential equation to get you started.
Thank you for the response. I have a solid understanding of Calc 1 and can solve basic differential equations. Can you help me please with this integral?
87296234_486183958955103_6013091949706215424_n.jpg

rude man said:
You're right, this is a ridiculously difficult problem.
It's a non-linear ODE whether you approach it from force, or from energy as post 2 suggests.
Wolfram Alpha gives you an answer for the force way. Ugly!
Then you have r(t) but you want t(r).
That's the best I can think of.
My sympathies!
I would be really thankful if you could send me the Wolfram Alpha solution. Thanks in advance.

geekmohmmad said:
I would be really thankful if you could send me the Wolfram Alpha solution. Thanks in advance.
You 'loved' my post #4 but did not act on it.
There's a fairly obvious trig substitution that makes the RHS of the expression for t much simpler. Differentiating that leads in a few lines to the energy equation. You can then reverse the process to see how the ODE can be solved.

Likes Mason Pulinthanathu, Vanadium 50 and etotheipi
geekmohmmad said:
Thank you for the response. I have a solid understanding of Calc 1 and can solve basic differential equations. Can you help me please with this integral? View attachment 257578

You have:
$$\frac{dr}{dt} = -\sqrt{2GM(\frac 1 r - \frac 1 {r_1}) }= -\sqrt{2GM(\frac{r_1 - r}{rr_1})}$$
$$-\int_{r_1}^{r_2} \sqrt{\frac{rr_1}{r_1 - r}} dr =\int_0^{t_2}\sqrt{2GM}dt = t_2\sqrt{2GM}$$
Note that I've used ##r_2## as the final radius to avoid confusion with the variable ##r##.

The key to such integrals is to look for a suitable trig substitution. You might look first at ##r = r_1\cos \theta##, which works for an inverse cube law problem. That doesn't quite work here. Any inspiration?

Last edited:
Likes Mason Pulinthanathu and etotheipi
PeroK said:
You have:
$$\frac{dr}{dt} = \sqrt{2GM(\frac 1 r - \frac 1 {r_1}) }= \sqrt{2GM(\frac{r_1 - r}{rr_1})}$$
Shouldn't there be a negative sign in front of the radical? The radial distance ##r## is positive and ##\dfrac{dr}{dt}## must be negative since ##r## decreases with time. This means choosing the negative sign when taking the square root.

Likes Mason Pulinthanathu and PeroK
kuruman said:
Shouldn't there be a negative sign in front of the radical? The radial distance ##r## is positive and ##\dfrac{dr}{dt}## must be negative since ##r## decreases with time. This means choosing the negative sign when taking the square root.
Very true. I was trying to adjust my solution to the OP's notation and forgot about that.

PeroK said:
Very true. I was trying to adjust my solution to the OP's notation and forgot about that.
Thanks for the reply. Here what I've done. (Have no clue how to un-substitute or what to do after this!)
integration.PNG

That doesn't look quite right. For example, ##1 - \frac{r_1}{r}## is negative, but you have it in a square root.

You are making things much more difficult than they need be.

I showed you how to simplify that expression with the square roots on the denominator. Also, you have used:
$$\frac 1 r = \frac 1 {r_1} \sec^2 \phi$$
Which is more simply written as:
$$r = r_1 \cos^2 \phi$$

I would start with the simplified expression in the integral I gave you:

PeroK said:
$$-\int_{r_1}^{r_2} \sqrt{\frac{rr_1}{r_1 - r}} dr =\int_0^{t_2}\sqrt{2GM}dt = t_2\sqrt{2GM}$$

And try the substitution ##r = r_1 \cos^2 \theta##. Or use ##\phi## is you prefer.

Related to Ridiculously difficult Newtonian physics problem

1. What is a "Ridiculously difficult Newtonian physics problem"?

A "Ridiculously difficult Newtonian physics problem" is a problem that involves applying Newton's laws of motion and other principles of classical mechanics to solve a complex and challenging scenario. These types of problems often require advanced mathematical skills and critical thinking to solve.

2. Why are Newtonian physics problems considered difficult?

Newtonian physics problems can be considered difficult because they often involve multiple variables, complex scenarios, and require a deep understanding of mathematical concepts. Additionally, these problems may have more than one solution, making it challenging to determine the most accurate and efficient approach.

3. What skills are needed to solve a "Ridiculously difficult Newtonian physics problem"?

To solve a "Ridiculously difficult Newtonian physics problem," one needs a strong foundation in classical mechanics, advanced mathematical skills, critical thinking abilities, and the ability to apply principles and formulas to real-world scenarios. It also helps to have a good understanding of the problem-solving process and the ability to break down complex problems into smaller, more manageable parts.

4. How can one approach solving a "Ridiculously difficult Newtonian physics problem"?

There is no one right way to approach solving a "Ridiculously difficult Newtonian physics problem." However, some general steps that can be followed include understanding the problem, identifying the known and unknown variables, applying relevant principles and formulas, and using logical reasoning to analyze and solve the problem. It is also helpful to check the solution for reasonableness and accuracy.

5. What are some tips for successfully solving a "Ridiculously difficult Newtonian physics problem"?

Some tips for successfully solving a "Ridiculously difficult Newtonian physics problem" include practicing regularly, breaking down the problem into smaller parts, checking for errors and inconsistencies, and seeking help from peers or professors when needed. It is also essential to stay organized, stay calm, and think critically to find the most efficient and accurate solution.