Center of mass using Mach's restatement of Newtonian Mechanics

In summary, Mach's restatement of Newtonian mechanics states that if we define the center of mass of two particles according to, ⃗ r = (m1 ⃗ r1 + m2 ⃗ r2) / (m1 + m2) then the center of mass moves according to the equation, ⃗r = [(m1 ⃗u1 + m2 ⃗u2) / (m1 + m2)]t + ⃗r0 where ⃗r0 is a constant vector.
AllRelative

Homework Statement

Use Mach’s restatement of Newtonian mechanics to show that if we define the centre of mass of two particles according to,
⃗ r = (m1 ⃗ r1 + m2 ⃗ r2) / (m1 + m2)

then the center of mass moves according to the equation,
⃗r = [(m1 ⃗u1 + m2 ⃗u2) / (m1 + m2)]t + ⃗r0

where ⃗r0 is a constant vector.

Homework Equations

This is a condensed version of the notes that were given in class but everything is there :

Mach's approach was to use Newton’s third law, which is the only law of the three to actually state a law or prescription of nature, as a starting point.From Newton's third law we can get the expression

a1/a2 = k12 and k12 is a constant.

So then Mach’s reformulation of Newton’s mechanics states that for any two of two or more interacting particles, the ratio of their acceleration will be constant. If we apply a Galilean transformation we obtain,

a1'/a2' = k12 = a1/a2

showing the equations are form invariant.We relate the constant with the inertial mass .
Mach’s version of Newtonian mechanics is free from definitions and has therefore simplified the theory by making reference only to acceleration a geometric quantity. All other standard notion of Newtonian mechanics can be derived from Mach’s restatement.

The Attempt at a Solution

I fully understand Newton's three laws and I get what Mach's restatement. I just can't figure for the life of me how I can use it to get the desired equation. If anyone has an idea of where to start that would be great!

Cheers!

Physics news on Phys.org
Look at the 2nd time derivative of
⃗ r = (m1 ⃗ r1 + m2 ⃗ r2) / (m1 + m2)

derive R relative to t and then at t=0 R=R0 and m1u1+m2u2=constant

I did what you said but I get (constant/m1+m2)t + R0 = R

How can a scalar + a vector = a vector ??

Since Mach's statement deals with the accelerations of the two objects, it might be good to somehow relate the formula for the position of the center of mass to the accelerations.

Note ##\frac{d\vec{r_1}}{dt} = \vec{v_1}=## the velocity vector.

What if you take one more derivative? What does ##\frac{d^2\vec{r_1}}{dt^2}## give you?

the first derivative to big R relative to t (dR/dt) in left hand side will give u already m1u1+m2u2 in right hand side then then multiply two side by dt and then make integrations two side u will get what u need

hey, I am pretty sure i am in your class cause you quoted the exact pdf the teacher gave us, i really don't understand this question either and don't get any of those answers too..

@elsayed , it doesn't use mach restatement though

It might help if we knew the mathematical level of this class. Is this a class where you can use calculus?

Related to Center of mass using Mach's restatement of Newtonian Mechanics

1. What is Mach's restatement of Newtonian Mechanics?

Mach's restatement of Newtonian Mechanics is a theory proposed by physicist and philosopher Ernst Mach in the late 19th century. It suggests that the motion of a body is not solely determined by its own mass and force, but also by the distribution of mass in the entire universe.

2. How does Mach's restatement affect the concept of center of mass?

Mach's restatement states that the center of mass of a body is not a fixed point, but rather depends on the positions and masses of all other objects in the universe. This means that the center of mass of a body can change depending on the distribution of mass in the universe, making it a more dynamic concept.

3. Why is Mach's restatement important in understanding center of mass?

Mach's restatement provides a more comprehensive understanding of the concept of center of mass. It takes into account the influence of all masses in the universe, rather than just the isolated body itself. This allows for a more accurate calculation of the center of mass and a better understanding of how it relates to the motion of a body.

4. How is Mach's restatement of Newtonian Mechanics applied in real-life situations?

Mach's restatement is often used in astrophysics and cosmology to understand the motion of celestial bodies and the structure of the universe. It is also relevant in the study of fluid dynamics, where the behavior of fluids is affected by the distribution of mass in the surrounding space.

5. Are there any criticisms of Mach's restatement and its impact on center of mass?

Some scientists argue that Mach's restatement is not necessary and that it does not significantly change our understanding of center of mass. There is also debate about the extent to which Mach's restatement should be applied, as it can become complex and difficult to calculate in certain situations.