Rewriting triple integrals e.g. dz dy dx -> dx dy dz

In summary, the conversation is about difficulties in rewriting integrals when the first integrand is not a function of two variables. There is an example given of finding the volume of a tetrahedron using different forms of the integral. The conversation also mentions a specific problem of rewriting from dz dy dx to dx dy dz, and discusses different interpretations and approaches for solving it.
eeme
I'm having a tough time rewriting integrals from one form to another when the first integrand is not a function of two variables.

As an example, when writing the integral to find the volume of a tetrahedron, I can easily write all 6 versions of the integral based on z = 1 - x - y or some variant of that. When the first integral is a function of only one variable e.g. z = 1 - y2 things start to get hairy.

Here's an example of something I'm having problems with:

problem.png
from dz dy dx to dx dy dz

My best guess so far is:

dx is x=0 -> y/2
dy is y=0 -> [tex]\sqrt{z-1}[/tex]
dz is z=0 -> 1

I'm not looking for just an answer to that problem...I'd like to know how to approach these. I drew the graph for the above equation, but didn't know what my limits for dx needed to be as the graph was hard to analyze. Is there an easy way in the case of tetrahedrons where you can take the starting equation of z=1-x-y and just remove the previous variable and solve for the one your integrating for?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
The formula is
$$
\left\{\int_{0}^{2} 1\,dx\, , \,\int_{2x}^{4} 1\,dy\, , \, \int_{0}^{1-y^2} 1\,dz\right\}
$$
and so it's not quite clear, whether it is a triplet of integrals or one a triple integral.
In both interpretations, the boundaries are considered constants.

triplet of integrals:
$$
\int_{0}^{2} 1\,dx = [x]_0^2 = 2\, , \,\int_{2x}^{4} 1\,dy = [y]_{2x}^4=4-2x\, , \, \int_{0}^{1-y^2} 1\,dz=[z]_{0}^{1-y^2}=1-y^2
$$
triple integral:
You solve it from inside out.
\begin{align*}
\int_{0}^{2} dx \int_{2x}^{4} dy \int_{0}^{1-y^2} \,dz &= \int_{0}^{2} dx \int_{2x}^{4} (1-y^2) \,dy\\
&= \int_{0}^{2} \left[y-\dfrac{1}{3}y^3\right]_{2x}^4\,dx =\int_{0}^2 \left( -\dfrac{61}{3} - 2x + \dfrac{8}{3}x^3 \right)\,dx \\
&= \left[-\dfrac{61}{3}x-x^2+\dfrac{8}{12}x^4 \right]_{0}^{2} = -\dfrac{122}{3} -4 +\dfrac{2}{3}2^4=-34
\end{align*}

Related to Rewriting triple integrals e.g. dz dy dx -> dx dy dz

1. What is the purpose of rewriting triple integrals?

Rewriting triple integrals allows us to change the order of integration and simplify the calculation process. It also helps in visualizing the region of integration and understanding the relationship between the variables.

2. How do you rewrite a triple integral in a different order?

To rewrite a triple integral, we need to change the order of the variables and the limits of integration accordingly. This can be done by carefully considering the region of integration and identifying the appropriate order of integration.

3. Can you rewrite a triple integral with respect to any variable?

Yes, a triple integral can be rewritten with respect to any of the three variables (x, y, z) as long as the region of integration remains the same. However, the order of integration may change and the limits of integration may need to be adjusted accordingly.

4. Are there any rules or guidelines for rewriting triple integrals?

Yes, there are some guidelines that can help in rewriting triple integrals. These include understanding the region of integration, identifying the appropriate order of integration, and using the appropriate limits of integration for each variable.

5. How does rewriting triple integrals affect the final answer?

Rewriting triple integrals does not affect the final answer as long as the region of integration and the limits of integration are correctly identified and used. It simply changes the way the integral is evaluated, making it easier or more efficient to calculate.