Revolution about horizontal and vertical lines

In summary, the homework statement asks for a calculation to find the volume of a cylindrical shell with a radius of y, a thickness of dy, and a length of x2 - x1. The first attempt at solving the problem uses the shell method, but fails because the integral cannot be solved. The second attempt uses the antideriv of y^2-2y-y^3/2 to find the volume. This calculation is correct, but the student notes that it is not what they were expecting.
cathy

Homework Statement

Use shell method to find volume.
y=x+2
y=x^2
rotate about the x-axis

2. The attempt at a solution

I cannot seem to solve this. I thought this was the way to solve it, but I don't understand if I am missing something crucial.
This is how I set up the integral.

v=integral from 1 to 4 (2pi* y * (y-2-sqrt(y))
This is not giving me the correct answer. Is this that way to set this up?
I also tried the same integral from 0 to 4, and cannot determine what I am doing wrong.
I would appreciate any help.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
hi cathy! welcome to pf! :smile:
cathy said:
Use shell method to find volume.

v=integral from 1 to 4 (2pi* y * (y-2-sqrt(y))
This is not giving me the correct answer. Is this that way to set this up?
I also tried the same integral from 0 to 4, and cannot determine what I am doing wrong.

let's see … you're using cylindrical shells of radius y, thickness dy, and length x2 - x1

and that should be between where they meet, at (0,0) and at (2,4): ie for y between 0 and 4

so you second try should work …

can you show us your calculations?​

hello!
well, i tried the second one again, like you said, and here are my calculations:

taking the antideriv of,
y^2-2y-y^3/2
antideriv would be:
1/3y^3 - y^2 - 2/5y^5/2
plugging in 4, I get
64/3 -16 -64/5 = -112/15 *2pi
= -224/15pi
and that is not correct

Did I do something wrong here? Please advise.

(just got up :zzz:)

looks ok (apart from everything being minus what it should be, since x2 > x+2) :confused:

have you tried +224/15π ?

Ohh. i actually see the problem. since it's required for me to do shells, the problem needed to be divided into two separate integrals.
thank you for your help tiny-tim :)

Related to Revolution about horizontal and vertical lines

1. What is the difference between horizontal and vertical lines?

Horizontal lines are lines that run parallel to the horizon or the ground, while vertical lines run perpendicular to the horizon. In other words, horizontal lines go from left to right, while vertical lines go from top to bottom.

2. How do we determine the equation of a horizontal line?

The equation of a horizontal line is y = c, where c is a constant. This means that no matter what value you plug in for x, the value of y will always be the same. For example, if the equation of a horizontal line is y = 3, then no matter what value you plug in for x, the value of y will always be 3.

3. What is the equation of a vertical line?

The equation of a vertical line is x = c, where c is a constant. This means that no matter what value you plug in for y, the value of x will always be the same. For example, if the equation of a vertical line is x = -2, then no matter what value you plug in for y, the value of x will always be -2.

4. How do horizontal and vertical lines relate to the concept of revolutions?

Horizontal and vertical lines can be thought of as "revolutions" because they represent a full rotation around a fixed point. For a horizontal line, the line rotates around the y-axis, while for a vertical line, the line rotates around the x-axis. This rotation or revolution can also be thought of as a change in direction, as the line goes from one direction to another.

5. What are some real-world examples of horizontal and vertical lines?

Horizontal lines can be seen in many everyday objects, such as a level surface, a horizon, or a ruler. Vertical lines can be seen in objects like a door frame, a flagpole, or the corners of a room. In science, these lines are also used to represent various concepts, such as the x and y axes in a graph or the planes of motion in physics.