Reviews for Gödel, Escher, Bach & The Physics of Consciousness

• Thread starter Kamataat
  • Start date
In summary: Interesting read.- KamataatIn summary, Gödel, Escher, Bach: An Eternal Golden Braid is a book about philosophy, science, and art. It is a great read for anyone interested in those topics.
Kamataat
"Gödel, Escher, Bach: An Eternal Golden Braid" by Douglas. R. Hofstadter and "The Physics of Consciousness" by Evan Harris Walker.

The second one sounds dubious, but I'd like a few opinions from people who know more about science than me. The reason why I don't want to go by Amazon reviews is that I trust that the people on PF a more scientifically minded.

Thanks in advance.

- Kamataat

Physics news on Phys.org
"Gödel, Escher, Bach: An Eternal Golden Braid" by Douglas. R. Hofstadter is part science, part philosophy and part art.

I absolutely loved his "Metamagical Themas", and read it several times, but again, part science, part philosophy and part art.

You won't necessarily learn a lot of physics from these books, but they may well inspire you and engender a sense of wonder and joy in what you do.

Thanks, DaveC426913. I think I will read Hofstadter's book then.

Does anyone know anything about "The Physics of Consciousness"? It doesn't look good to me, because on the back it says that the theory that Walker (the author) proposes answers questions like "What is the nature of consciousness, of will?", "What is the source of material reality?" and "What is God?". As far as I know, physics can't answer these (at least yet), not to mention that the existence of God isn't based on any sound physical theories. Can somebody more knowledgeable in physics help me out? Is Walker a quack?

- Kamataat

Godel, Escher, Bach is an excellent book, I'm about half way through it. If you want a good book on consciousness, I recommend "The Quest for Consciousness," by Koch. It has a very good, structured, analytical approach. It's meant to be more of a textbook, but it's not a difficult read. Also, it was published in 2004, so the material is very recent.

GEB won a pulitzer when it came out, so that should be some incidation of how good it is. i read it last summer & i thought it was very cool.

Tnx, will check the book by Koch.

Related to Reviews for Gödel, Escher, Bach & The Physics of Consciousness

1. What is "Reviews for Gödel, Escher, Bach & The Physics of Consciousness" about?

"Reviews for Gödel, Escher, Bach & The Physics of Consciousness" is a book that explores the connections between mathematics, art, and consciousness. It discusses the works of mathematician Kurt Gödel, artist M.C. Escher, and musician Johann Sebastian Bach, and how their ideas relate to the concept of consciousness.

2. Who is the author of "Reviews for Gödel, Escher, Bach & The Physics of Consciousness"?

The author of "Reviews for Gödel, Escher, Bach & The Physics of Consciousness" is Douglas Hofstadter, a cognitive scientist and professor at Indiana University. He is also known for his Pulitzer Prize-winning book, "Gödel, Escher, Bach: An Eternal Golden Braid", which explores similar themes.

3. What makes "Reviews for Gödel, Escher, Bach & The Physics of Consciousness" unique?

"Reviews for Gödel, Escher, Bach & The Physics of Consciousness" is unique in its interdisciplinary approach to understanding consciousness. It combines ideas from mathematics, art, and music to offer a new perspective on the nature of consciousness and how it relates to the physical world.

4. Is "Reviews for Gödel, Escher, Bach & The Physics of Consciousness" accessible to non-scientists?

While the book does delve into complex scientific and mathematical concepts, it is written in a way that is accessible to non-scientists. Hofstadter uses analogies and examples to make the ideas more understandable to a general audience.

5. What are some key takeaways from "Reviews for Gödel, Escher, Bach & The Physics of Consciousness"?

Some key takeaways from the book include the interconnectedness of seemingly disparate fields, the limitations of logic and reason in fully understanding consciousness, and the importance of creativity and play in shaping our understanding of the world and ourselves.