Favorite Math Books: Prime Obsession, Journey Through Genius, Who Is Fourier?

• Thread starter MathAmateur
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Books
In summary, the conversation is about a person's love for mathematical books and their current read, "Prime Obsession" by John Derbyshire. They also ask for recommendations of other books with beautiful proofs and intuitive presentations of difficult subjects, listing their own favorites.
MathAmateur
I am just an amateur in this math biz, but I love good books on the subject. I am presently reading "Prime Obsession" by John Derbyshire and I am absolutely loving it. Derbyshire's presentation of Euler's proof of the golden key:

[tex]
\sum_n n^{-s} = \prod_p (1-p^{-s})^{ -1}
[/tex]

makes me just shiver with delight.

What are some of your favorite math books? Not so much textbooks but books that contain math, preferably beautiful proofs and intuitive presentations of difficult subjects. If this is something that has been thoroughly thrashed in the past and you don't want to bring it up again, send me the links. Otherwise, to start here are my favorites:

1. Journey Through Genius: The Great Theorems of Mathematics by William Dunham
Wow! This book is a feast of great theorems
2.The Shape of Space by Jeffrey R. Weeks
Topology heaven for the math challenged
3. Who Is Fourier?: A Mathematical Adventure by Transnational College of LEX
I finally understood Fourier series and transforms at least at a very elementary level.
4. Gödel, Escher, Bach: An Eternal Golden Braid by Douglas R. Hofstadter
Not a math book, but his presentation of Gödel's proof was accessible to me.
5.Prime Obsession by John Derbyshire
Oh man. What can I say. It is full of gorgeous math. Riemann is turning into one of my heroes for sure.
6. How to Prove It: A Structured Approach by Daniel Velleman
Ha! I can prove things too!

Mathematics news on Phys.org
You might like
Finding Moonshine by De Sautoy

http://www.conted.ox.ac.uk/staff/academicstaff/profile.php?a=alpha&id=215

Thank you. I will.

1. What are the main topics covered in "Favorite Math Books: Prime Obsession, Journey Through Genius, Who Is Fourier?"

The main topics covered in these books include prime numbers, number theory, mathematical proofs, and the lives and contributions of influential mathematicians such as Bernhard Riemann and Joseph Fourier.

2. Are these books suitable for beginners in math?

While these books may be challenging for beginners, they are written in an accessible and engaging way that can be enjoyed by both beginners and advanced math enthusiasts.

3. What makes these books stand out from other math books?

These books are not just focused on teaching math concepts, but also on exploring the history and human stories behind these concepts. This makes them unique and captivating reads for both math lovers and non-mathematicians.

4. Do these books require a strong background in math to understand?

While a basic understanding of math concepts may be helpful, these books are written in a way that can be understood by a general audience. The author explains complex ideas in a clear and engaging manner without relying heavily on advanced mathematical notation.

5. Can these books be used as textbooks for math courses?

While these books may not follow a traditional textbook format, they can certainly be used as supplemental readings for math courses. They offer a unique perspective and can help students develop a deeper understanding and appreciation for the subject.