Reverse order of double integral

In summary: Integrate f(x,y) first with the lower x boundary at x = 0 and the upper x boundary at x = sqrt(y/2). Then integrate f(x,y) with the lower x boundary at x = sqrt(y-1) and the upper x boundary at x = sqrt(y/2). This gives a \y double integral" that can be done in one go with the right substitutions.In summary, the problem involves finding the bivariate integral of (x+2y) over a region bounded by x=0, x=1, y=0, y=2, y=2x^2, and y=1+x^2. The attempt at a solution involved attempting to reverse the order of integration
Deathfish

Homework Statement

Integrate (x+2y) over
y=1+x^2 , y=2x^2 and x=0, x=1 (dy dx)

Homework Equations

Graph is sketched.

The Attempt at a Solution

y = 2x^2 --> x=(y/2)^(1/2)
y = 1+x^2 --> x=(y-1)^(1/2)

integrate over y=0 to y=2

problem encountered when solving definite integral from y=0 to y=2, because i end up with (-1/8 y^2 + 1/2 y + 4/5 (y/2)^(1/2) - 4/5 (y-1)^(5/2) - 4/3 (y-1)^(3/2)) over y=0 to y=2, (y-1) gives (-1)^(5/2) and (-1)^(3/2) , square root of negative number.

where did i go wrong?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Deathfish said:

Homework Statement

Integrate (x+2y) over
y=1+x^2 , y=2x^2 and x=0, x=1 (dy dx)

Homework Equations

Graph is sketched.

The Attempt at a Solution

y = 2x^2 --> x=(y/2)^(1/2)
y = 1+x^2 --> x=(y-1)^(1/2)

integrate over y=0 to y=2

problem encountered when solving definite integral from y=0 to y=2, because i end up with (-1/8 y^2 + 1/2 y + 4/5 (y/2)^(1/2) - 4/5 (y-1)^(5/2) - 4/3 (y-1)^(3/2)) over y=0 to y=2, (y-1) gives (-1)^(5/2) and (-1)^(3/2) , square root of negative number.

where did i go wrong?

Your problem was badly worded, but I guess you mean to find the bivariate integral of (x+2y) over the region bounded by x = 0, x = 1 and lying between the two curves x = 2x^2 and y = 1 + x^2. Is that a correct wording of your problem? If it is, you need to look at two cases: (i) when 2x^2 lies below 1 + x^2; and (ii) when 2x^2 lies above 1 + x^2. Case (i) occurs for some x, while case (ii) occurs for some other x. You need to decide if only one of cases (i) or (ii) will occur for all x in (0,1), or whether both can occur within that x-interval.

RGV

yeah but i can't figure out how to reverse the order of integration... when i try x=(y/2)^(1/2) to x=(y-1)^(1/2) integrate over y=0 to y=2 i get square root of negative number.

Deathfish said:
yeah but i can't figure out how to reverse the order of integration... when i try x=(y/2)^(1/2) to x=(y-1)^(1/2) integrate over y=0 to y=2 i get square root of negative number.

Did somebody tell you that you must reverse the order of integration? The easiest way to get the solution is to do the y-integral first (inner integration), then integrate for x from 0 to 1. If you want to revers the order of integration you will have a *more complicated problem*; I suggest you draw a picture of the region and look at what will need to be done for various values of y (that is, what is the x-interval for each possible y). If you draw the picture carefully you will see right away where you went wrong. (In problems of this type it is always a good policy to _draw first, calculate later_!)

RGV

Deathfish said:

When you integrate the x variable first you must integrate from x on the left to x on the right. You have to break it up into two pieces because x on the left is not the same for y < 1 that it is when y > 1. Have you drawn a picture?

Question explicitly states reverse order of integration. I graphed out the region of integration... tried out the obvious x=(y-1)^(1/2) to x=(y/2)^(1/2) and y=0 to y=2, dxdy, but i got a complex number from square root of -1 ... from (0-1)^(1/2) ...

so i tried out various other combinations such as x=0 to x=(y/2)^(1/2) and y=0 to y=1+x^2 ... and worked them out one by one to see if the answer matches the original using an online calculator (save time)... all don't return the same answer. think main problem i have is choosing 4 boundaries when the region graphed has only three surfaces.

You guys mind if I show him first and ask him to justify it or will I get in trouble for that? I think it's effective way to learn it so I'll risk it:

[tex]\int_0^b \int_0^{\sqrt{y/2}} f dxdy+\int_b^c \int_{\sqrt{y-1}}^{\sqrt{y/2}} f dxdy[/tex]

I did it quick so not sure ok. You go over it and either verify it or correct me.

ok when i draw the region i get only the region to the left of x=1 to x=0, nothing to the right of x=1...

edit : ok is it draw a horizontal line at y=1 ?

Deathfish said:
ok when i draw the region i get only the region to the left of x=1 to x=0, nothing to the right of x=1...

edit : ok is it draw a horizontal line at y=1 ?

Yes. That gives two regions with appropriate, and different, x boundaries.

Related to Reverse order of double integral

What is a double integral?

A double integral is a mathematical concept that involves integrating a function of two variables over a two-dimensional region. It can be thought of as finding the volume under a surface in three-dimensional space.

What does "reverse order of double integral" mean?

Reverse order of double integral refers to the process of changing the order in which the integrals are evaluated. In a regular double integral, the inner integral is evaluated first and then the outer integral. In reverse order, the outer integral is evaluated first and then the inner integral.

When would you use reverse order of double integral?

Reverse order of double integral is often used when the limits of integration are easier to express in terms of the other variable. It can also be used to simplify the integrand and make the integration process easier.

What is the relationship between regular and reverse order of double integral?

Regular and reverse order of double integral are equivalent, meaning they will give the same result. The only difference is the order in which the integrals are evaluated. The choice of which order to use depends on the specific problem and the ease of integration.

Are there any limitations or restrictions when using reverse order of double integral?

There are some cases where reverse order of double integral cannot be used, such as when the integrand is not defined for certain values of the variables. It is important to check for these limitations before switching the order of integration.