Resources to study surface tension

In summary, Amey recommends that you check out some of the other books suggested in this forum, as well as Berkley Physics Course.
issacnewton
Hi

I want to study the topic of surface tension for the purpose of solving problems. I have textbooks like Halliday Resnick and Young Freedman. But these books don't cover the topic of surface tension. If you know any free, open resources to study this topic, please let me know

thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
IssacNewton said:
Hi

I want to study the topic of surface tension for the purpose of solving problems. I have textbooks like Halliday Resnick and Young Freedman. But these books don't cover the topic of surface tension. If you know any free, open resources to study this topic, please let me know

thanks

Both H&K (only checked earlier editions) and university physics talk about surface tension, and fluid mechanics in general. Did you check the index?

IssacNewton said:
Hi

thanks

I might be able to help. But, I'd like to know what quality of resources you're looking for. If it's high school, what sort of exam you're preparing for?

H&K has fluid mechanics. But I don't see the topic of surface tension. I just checked amazon for the table of contents. It does not have this topic.

Hi Amey

I am myself a teacher in India. I am looking for material on surface tension at IIT exam level.

IssacNewton said:
Hi Amey

I am myself a teacher in India. I am looking for material on surface tension at IIT exam level.

I am not a JEE Enthusiast. However, I think I can recommend you on the basis of what I've seen a few teachers using.

I've always believed that cracking a competitive exam requires a different skill set than a person learning Science. Halliday, Resnick and Walker or Young and Freedman, although enough for cracking Mains, are by no means enough for Advanced. It's like saying, I have the knowledge, but applying it is something else. It's an exam for Engineering Institute after all.

Amazon India or your local book sellers might be selling the 'adapted version for JEE' of Haliday-Resnick-Walker and Young-Freedman. Although, I would advice you to check out the Young-Freedman (International Edition), although I remember reading about Surface Tension on the books, if you have problem with the text. Otherwise, you'd pretty much prefer some straight JEE text like Cengage, which has a nice gist of all the skill-set's required to crack JEE and nice problems. The point is, for Advanced, the books suggested in this forums except Freedman's, would require rigorous background to Physics.

I've also tried Berkley Physics Course and I really liked it. The questions are also of good quality, so you can take a peek there too.

Related to Resources to study surface tension

What is surface tension?

Surface tension is a physical property of liquids that causes them to have a strong cohesive force at their surface. This allows the liquid to resist external forces and take on a distinctive shape.

What are some resources to study surface tension?

Some resources to study surface tension include textbooks, scientific journals, online articles and videos, and laboratory experiments. These can provide information on the theory, applications, and measurement techniques of surface tension.

How is surface tension measured?

Surface tension is typically measured using a tensiometer, which applies a force to the surface of the liquid and measures the resulting deformation. Other methods include the drop weight method and the capillary rise method.

What factors affect surface tension?

The surface tension of a liquid is affected by factors such as temperature, pressure, and the presence of impurities or additives. It can also be influenced by the type of liquid and the material of the container it is in.

What are the practical applications of surface tension?

Surface tension has many practical applications in various industries, such as in detergent and soap formulations, inkjet printing, and the production of emulsions and foams. It also plays a role in natural phenomena, such as the formation of raindrops and the behavior of insects walking on water.