Research methods books used by grad students

In summary, the conversation discusses the need for recommendations on books and webpages for graduate students conducting research, specifically in the area of theoretical research. The individual expresses frustration with their professors and the lack of guidance provided. They also mention not being interested in experiment design and report writing. The other person suggests that there may not be a specific book that teaches how to do research, as each discipline has its own methods. Instead, the individual will learn through "academic osmosis" by being around others who do similar work.
Signifier
I can't remember if I already posted this and lost track. Sorry if I did. I'm not sure if this question is "not meant for this forum" but I don't know where else to ask, or where my last post went.

I was looking for recommendations for books and or webpages useful for graduates doing research. Are there books that graduates learn to "do research" from? IE methods for doing literature reviews, etc. I'm mainly interested in doing theoretical research but I need some guidance and my professors are useless.

Most books I've found focus on writing research reports, such as for a class. That's not the scope or style of what I'm interested in. I'm also not interested in experiment design, etc.

Thanks, hopefully I've made what I'm looking for clear. Let me know any suggestions, or if this post belongs somewhere else. Thanks again!

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm not sure what you mean by this. If you are referring to a book that will essentially "teach you to do research", I doubt that something like this exists. Even if it does, I don't think it will be relevant.

Every discipline and sub-discipline has it's own way of doing things. The main things you actually learn while doing your PhD is how to handle research by yourself. I like to call the process by which you learn this "academic osmosis", where being in proximity to people who do this kind of work teaches you how given enough time.

I can understand your frustration with not being able to find resources for graduate-level research methods. It can be overwhelming to navigate the world of academia and figure out the best methods for conducting research.

There are many books and resources available for graduate students to learn research methods. Some popular ones include "Designing and Conducting Mixed Methods Research" by John W. Creswell and Vicki L. Plano Clark, "Research Design: Qualitative, Quantitative, and Mixed Methods Approaches" by John W. Creswell, and "The Craft of Research" by Wayne C. Booth, Gregory G. Colomb, and Joseph M. Williams. These books cover a wide range of research methods, including literature reviews, theoretical research, and experiment design.

In addition to books, there are also online resources available for graduate students, such as the website of the American Psychological Association (APA) which offers guidelines and resources for conducting research in the social sciences. Other professional organizations in your specific field of study may also have resources available for graduate students.

It's important to also seek guidance from your professors and colleagues. They can provide valuable insights and advice on research methods and techniques. Don't be afraid to reach out and ask for help or recommendations.

In conclusion, there are many resources available for graduate students to learn research methods. It's important to do your own research and find what works best for your specific research goals and interests. Don't be afraid to ask for help from professors and colleagues, as they can provide valuable guidance and support. Best of luck in your research endeavors!

Related to Research methods books used by grad students

1. What are the most popular research methods books used by grad students?

The most popular research methods books used by grad students vary depending on the field of study. Some common titles include "Research Design: Qualitative, Quantitative, and Mixed Methods Approaches" by John W. Creswell, "The Craft of Research" by Wayne C. Booth, Gregory G. Colomb, and Joseph M. Williams, and "Research Methods for Business Students" by Mark N.K. Saunders, Philip Lewis, and Adrian Thornhill.

2. How do I choose the right research methods book for my study?

Choosing the right research methods book depends on your research question, methodology, and field of study. It is important to consult with your advisor or peers in your field to determine which book would best suit your needs. You can also read reviews and compare the content and approach of different books before making a decision.

3. Are there any free research methods books available for grad students?

Yes, there are some free research methods books available for grad students. Some universities offer free access to e-books through their library system, and there are also open access books available online. However, it is important to note that these resources may not cover all methods and may not be as comprehensive as paid books.

4. Can research methods books be used for both quantitative and qualitative studies?

Some research methods books cover both quantitative and qualitative methods, while others focus on one or the other. It is important to carefully read the book description and reviews to determine if the book covers the methods you need for your study.

5. Are research methods books necessary for grad students or can I learn about research methods through other resources?

While research methods books are not the only resource available for learning about research methods, they are a valuable tool for grad students. These books offer comprehensive and detailed information on various research methods, as well as practical examples and exercises. Other resources, such as online tutorials and workshops, can also be helpful in learning about research methods.