Research as a graduate student

In summary, Choppy found that despite having doubts about his ability to keep up with research deadlines, it's common for students to have difficulty recalling concepts from their undergraduate studies. Professors are likely to get annoyed regardless of whether or not the student remembers everything from their undergraduate work.
Urmi Roy
Hi,
I'm most probably going to opt for an MS degree in Mechanical Engineering with a specialization in Heat and Mass Transfer after a couple of months.

There are some questions that I have in regard to research as a graduate students, both MS and PhD.

1. Is it always possible to keep up with progress deadlines that are set by your professor? If not, then does the Professor usually get annoyed?

2. Now that I'm only just finishing off as an undergraduate, I don't really have much confidence in myself...undergraduate studies(esp in India) required learning a lot of different
things in little time...so I'm not sure if I really remember all the concepts very clearly, or if I can use the software that I learned somewhere in sophomore year as effectively...is this the case with all the students?
If so, is it likely for my professor to get annoyed with me?

Physics news on Phys.org
1. This depends on your supervisor, although "always" is a pretty tight criterion. In general, when selecting an advisor and when starting out, it's good to have a two-way conversation about expectations. As a student it can be difficult to estimate what you're capable of. As a professor it can be difficult to remember what it's like not to be aware of many things that seem obvious.

Something else to remember along these lines is that some deadlines are "hard" such as abstract submission dates for conferences, or the date you have to submit your thesis by to avoid paying fees for the following semester, while other deadlines are "soft" such as supervisory committee meetings or weekly progress updates.

2. In the history of all physicists everywhere there have only been three that managed to remember perfectly everything they learned during their undergraduate work. I do not know which three or even if this number is correct to within a few orders of magnitude, but I know that the number of physicists who have to constantly review the material they've learned is vastly greater than the number who remember it all instantly and perfectly.

3. At some point your supervisor is likely to be annoyed with you regardless of what you do. This is true of any relationship that lasts for 4-7 years.

Thanks for the info Choppy, it's comforting to know that things are probably not going to be as tight as I imagined :-)

Related to Research as a graduate student

1. What is the purpose of research as a graduate student?

The purpose of research as a graduate student is to contribute new knowledge and advancements to your field of study. It allows you to develop critical thinking, problem-solving, and analytical skills while also preparing you for a career in academia or industry.

2. How do you come up with a research topic as a graduate student?

There are several ways to come up with a research topic as a graduate student. You can start by reviewing literature in your field of study, identifying gaps or unresolved questions, and building on existing research. You can also seek advice from your advisor or collaborate with other researchers to develop a research topic.

3. What is the importance of research methodology in graduate studies?

Research methodology is crucial in graduate studies as it provides a framework for conducting rigorous and valid research. It includes the methods and techniques used to collect and analyze data, ensuring that the results are accurate and reliable. A strong research methodology also strengthens the credibility of your research findings.

4. How do you manage time effectively while conducting research as a graduate student?

Time management is crucial in graduate studies as research can be a time-consuming and demanding process. It is essential to create a schedule and set aside specific blocks of time for research activities. Prioritizing tasks, setting deadlines, and avoiding procrastination can also help manage time effectively.

5. How do you balance research and coursework as a graduate student?

Balancing research and coursework as a graduate student can be challenging, but it is essential to succeed in both areas. Time management, setting realistic goals, and seeking support from your advisor can help you balance these responsibilities. It is also crucial to prioritize and allocate time for both research and coursework to ensure that neither suffers.