Representing violet with an RGB display

• Thread starter Warp
  • Start date
In summary, RGB displays can simulate violet by combining blue and red light, as the human eye has receptors for both colors. While the peak sensitivity for red receptors is in the red region of the spectrum, it also has some sensitivity in the violet region, allowing for the perception of violet light. This is why violet can be represented on an RGB display, even though it has a higher frequency than blue. However, violet still appears slightly different from true violet, as it is past the range of visible light for the human eye. RGB displays only show a small portion of the full color space visible to the eye.
Warp
The violet color has a higher frequency than blue. An RGB display can represent at each pixel the frequencies for red, green and blue. Therefore the highest frequency that the display can emit is that of blue. Yet, somehow, RGB displays can represent violet, which has an even higher frequency.

What explains this?

Physics news on Phys.org
Bandersnatch said:
RGB displays simulate violet as a combination of blue and red

I know, but it's not what I asked.

The human eye has only three colour receptors for blue, green and red. Violet light stimulates both the red and blue receptors because the red receptor has an absorption maximum both in the red and in the violet region of the spectrum. So the impression generated by a mixture of blue and red light is strictly equivalent to that of violet light.

I was wondering about the same thing some time ago, or "how can we distinguish violet from blue?"
Apparently the red cones are also sensitive to a narrow band of blueish frequencies. So when you see violet it's exciting your red cones as well.
I don't remember where I read about it and I don't know how reliable that is. But it would explain 1) how you can see violet 2) how you can reproduce violet with blue+red 3) why violet can blend well with both blue and red.

DrDu said:
The human eye has only three colour receptors for blue, green and red. Violet light stimulates both the red and blue receptors because the red receptor has an absorption maximum both in the red and in the violet region of the spectrum. So the impression generated by a mixture of blue and red light is strictly equivalent to that of violet light.

Red and violet are at almost opposite ends of the visible light spectrum. Do red receptors really have their highest "peaks" at two very different locations in the spectrum?

Looking at the wavelengths, I notice that the shortest wavelength of violet is about exactly half of the longest wavelength of red. In other words, they are about an "octave" apart. Am I guessing correctly that this is not coincidence, but there's some kind of resonance effect in play here?

Warp said:
Red and violet are at almost opposite ends of the visible light spectrum. Do red receptors really have their highest "peaks" at two very different locations in the spectrum?
It's not the highest peaks. Peak of red receptor is in red, but it's very broad. So there is enough sensitivity in violet still for both red and blue receptors to be tripped. Green receptor, in contrast, has a very narrow peak, so it receives almost no excitation in violet.

That's why violet looks similar to RGB magenta or purple, but not quite the same. The fact that you cannot reproduce violet has something to do with it being past the range of violet, but it's not the only reason.

You might find this article to be of interest. CIE 1931

Related to Representing violet with an RGB display

1. What is an RGB display?

An RGB display is a type of electronic display that uses red, green, and blue light to create a wide range of colors. It is commonly used in computer monitors, televisions, and other electronic devices.

2. How does an RGB display represent colors?

An RGB display uses a combination of red, green, and blue light to create different colors. By adjusting the intensity of each color, the display can produce millions of different shades and hues.

3. Can an RGB display accurately represent violet?

Yes, an RGB display can accurately represent violet. By using a combination of red and blue light, the display can produce a deep, rich violet color.

4. Why is it difficult to represent violet with an RGB display?

It is difficult to represent violet with an RGB display because the display is limited to only three primary colors. This means that it cannot produce the full spectrum of colors, including some shades of violet that fall outside of the RGB color space.

5. Are there other ways to represent violet besides an RGB display?

Yes, there are other ways to represent violet. One alternative is using a CMYK color model, which uses cyan, magenta, yellow, and black to create a wider range of colors. Another option is using a color space that includes more than three primary colors, such as the Pantone Matching System used in printing.