Uncovering the Mystery of VIBGYOR: The True Colors of the Rainbow Revealed!

In summary, the colors of a rainbow can be decomposed into Red, Green, and Blue primaries and any colour can be made by mixing these primaries in various proportions.
Likith D
I got to know 'bout primary colors
Even after knowing that red, green and blue can bring infinite color combination; why do we still 'violet', 'indigo', 'yellow' and 'orange' as a part of the colors of rainbow while there are also different other colors between any two of them which are not considered as a part of 'the colors of rainbow'

Physics news on Phys.org
I suppose it's because we have simple, commonly-recognized names for those colors. It's not meant to exclude the many intermediate color shades in between. The simple color names don't have precise definitions anyway. They already include ranges of shades.

By the way, I don't know where you're from, but English-speakers probably refer more commonly to Roy G. Biv than to VIBGYOR ?:).

Aha, now I see there's a chain of high schools in India with that name. Also a band named Vib Gyor in Leeds, England. If you're connected with either of those, carry on... :biggrin:

Last edited:
Vibgyor seems to be older than roygbiv, its first written occurrence is 1743. [1]

Likith D said:
Even after knowing that red, green and blue can bring infinite color combination; why do we still 'violet', 'indigo', 'yellow' and 'orange' as a part of the colors of rainbow while there are also different other colors between any two of them which are not considered as a part of 'the colors of rainbow'
I think that is a very difficult question having to do with our eyes and brains, not physics.

I wager that if you ask 10 people how many colors they see in a rainbow, that their answers are similar.

I also expect that other animals and insects that have different eyes and visual spectra, see different colors and different number of colors than we do.

Likes Likith D
We recently had a very long discussion about color vision: https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/what-decides-the-colour-of-light.842780/

Likith D said:
why do we still 'violet', 'indigo', 'yellow' and 'orange' as a part of the colors of rainbow while there are also different other colors between any two of them which are not considered as a part of 'the colors of rainbow'
Decomposing the rainbow in seven colors is completely arbitrary, and is probably due to belief in numerology.

Likes sophiecentaur
Likith D said:
For clarification, Red, Green and Blue, when mixed in various proportions, can cause the brain to perceive any colour including white. It is a psycho-perceptual effect. But the mixture does not physically produce that colour.
So the colours of the rainbow, each being a different wavelength monochromatic light, can be perceived by mixing the three primaries in various proportions. The formal way of depicting this is using Maxwell's Colour Triangle. As a a matter of interest, most colours can also be perceived by using two "primaries" located opposite each other on the colour triangle.

Likith D said:
Primary colours and the wavelength a monochromatic light are diametrically opposite concepts, yet they are often considered to the the same thing. Wrong. Wavelength just refers to the wavelength of a particular part of the EM spectrum. A fairly simple instrument can measure objectively the wavelength spectrum of any light source (a prism and a photodetector). The word 'colour' instantly takes us into the psychology of vision and the way the human eye analyses the light it sees; it's subjective. We seldon see monochromatic light and most colours we see will have a complicated spectrum of many wavelengths. It so happens that the eye uses three different receptors and each one has a different sensitivity to the optical wavelengths (although they all three have some sensitivity over more or less the whole of the visible spectrum. Our sensation of colour is based on the relative amounts that each of the three sensors respond to any particular input spectrum. It's the relative weighting of these sensor outputs that we use to classify the 'colour' we recognise. Years before the proper theory of colour vision, it was found that mixing pigments could produce a range of colours by subtractive mixing. Then Newton and others found that you could also mix different wavelengths of light to produce colours. Using three (so called) primary light sources, you can match most colours (TV is all about matching well enough for viewers to accept what they see as reasonable). For practical reasons (maximum achievable brightness), the phosphors in a TV display have the colours Red, Green and Blue but do not actually consist of 'pure' spectral lines. Most colours can be displayed / matched with a whole variety of mixes of arbitrary primaries and, as colour display technology improves, a bigger gamut of colours can be displayed.
PS We quantise the colours we see, when describing them and recognising them and we also quantise the musical notes we use but there is an continuum of wavelengths and frequencies in each case.

1. Why do rainbows have VIBGYOR colors?

Rainbows have VIBGYOR colors because of the way light is refracted, or bent, as it passes through water droplets in the air. The different colors of light have different wavelengths, and when they pass through the water droplets, they are bent at different angles, creating the rainbow effect.

2. Why are the colors in a rainbow always in the same order?

The colors in a rainbow are always in the same order because they correspond to the different wavelengths of light. The longest wavelength, red, is always on the outside of the rainbow, while the shortest wavelength, violet, is always on the inside.

3. Why are there only 7 colors in a rainbow?

There are actually an infinite number of colors in a rainbow, but we only see 7 distinct colors because our eyes are limited in their ability to perceive different wavelengths of light. These 7 colors, VIBGYOR, are the most commonly recognized and make up the visible spectrum.

4. Why does a rainbow disappear when you move closer to it?

A rainbow disappears when you move closer to it because the angle of refraction changes. When you're standing in one spot, the angle of refraction is just right for you to see the rainbow. But as you move closer, the angle changes and the light is no longer being bent towards you, causing the rainbow to disappear.

5. Can a rainbow be a different shape or have more than 7 colors?

Yes, a rainbow can have a different shape and can even have more than 7 colors. For example, if there are multiple rainbows present or if the sunlight is being reflected off of a curved surface, the shape of the rainbow may appear different. Additionally, under certain conditions, a double rainbow may be visible, with a second, fainter rainbow appearing above the primary one.