Renewable Energy Careers (Specifically Engineering)

In summary, the conversation revolves around a person's experience in their first year of electrical engineering, including earning a scholarship and landing an internship at a large company. They are currently working in the oil and gas industry, but are considering switching to the renewable energy side of the company. They are seeking advice from others with an EE background and have questions about the necessity of a Master's degree and the potential for building environmentally friendly processes. The conversation ends with a request for clarification on their intentions and interests.
Tpark25
I am going into my second year in electrical engineering at a large state school. In my first year I was able to earn a scholarship within the college of engineering and also land an internship at one of the world's largest and most recognizable companies. This summer I'm in the oil and gas industry and am considering making a switch to the renewable energy side of the company. (Ex: wind and solar power) Does anyone have any experience in this field, specifically those with an EE background?

What did you work on?
Is a masters necessary?

Thanks for your help.

Physics news on Phys.org
I started to answer, but then I got a bit confused.

What are you asking for?

Do you want to know whether a Master's degree would help? Are you really interested in protecting the environment? What sorts of things do you think you would build? Are you thinking of joining a utility to actually operate these things? Or would you rather build more environmentally sound processes?

I suspect the answer is all of the above, because you haven't fully explored the possibilities and don't know what's out there. Or perhaps you have a clearer idea than you have conveyed here?

I'm waiting for some clarification.

Related to Renewable Energy Careers (Specifically Engineering)

1. What is the job outlook for renewable energy engineers?

The job outlook for renewable energy engineers is very positive. With the growing demand for clean energy sources and advancements in technology, there is a growing need for skilled engineers in this field. According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, employment for engineers in the renewable energy sector is projected to grow at a rate much faster than the average for all occupations.

2. What are the typical job responsibilities of a renewable energy engineer?

Renewable energy engineers are responsible for designing, developing, and implementing renewable energy systems such as solar, wind, geothermal, and hydroelectric power. They also conduct research to improve the efficiency and performance of these systems, as well as provide technical support for the operation and maintenance of renewable energy facilities.

3. What skills are necessary to become a successful renewable energy engineer?

To be a successful renewable energy engineer, one should have a strong foundation in science, mathematics, and engineering principles. They should also possess strong problem-solving and critical thinking skills, as well as good communication and teamwork skills. In addition, knowledge of renewable energy technologies and sustainability principles is crucial.

4. What education and training is required to become a renewable energy engineer?

Most renewable energy engineering positions require a bachelor's degree in engineering, preferably in a field related to renewable energy such as mechanical, electrical, or environmental engineering. Some employers may also prefer candidates with a master's degree or specialized training in renewable energy technologies.

5. What are some potential career paths for renewable energy engineers?

Renewable energy engineers can work in a variety of industries, including energy companies, consulting firms, government agencies, and research institutions. They may also choose to specialize in a specific type of renewable energy, such as solar or wind energy, or move into management or leadership roles. With the growing demand for clean energy, there are many opportunities for growth and advancement in this field.