Remotely changing superconductor levitation height

In summary, the best way to change the levitation height of a superconductor is by adjusting the temperature of the system, either by heating up the superconductor or changing the temperature of the surrounding environment. Other methods, such as modifying the current of an electromagnet, are not effective in controlling levitation height.
jtmarmon
Forgive me if some of my question sounds misguided or misinformed - I'm new to the flux pinning game.

I want to be able to modify the height of a quantum locked superconductor. My original plan was to levitate the superconductor over an electromagnet and modify the current to said magnet (increase the current for higher levitation height, decrease for lower). Further research has made it apparent to me that this won't work. Is there a way to change the levitation height of a superconductor short of mechanical interference within the system?

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, there is. A common method for controlling the levitation height of a superconductor is to adjust the temperature of the system. As the temperature increases, the critical temperature of the superconductor will decrease, which will reduce the amount of flux pinning and consequently reduce the levitation height. This can be done by either increasing the temperature of the superconductor itself or adjusting the temperature of the surrounding environment.

Related to Remotely changing superconductor levitation height

What is a superconductor?

A superconductor is a material that exhibits zero electrical resistance and expels magnetic fields when cooled below a certain temperature, called the critical temperature.

How does superconductor levitation work?

Superconductor levitation works by utilizing the Meissner effect, where the superconductor expels magnetic fields when cooled below the critical temperature. This results in a repulsive force between the superconductor and a magnet, causing the superconductor to levitate above the magnet.

What is the purpose of remotely changing the levitation height of a superconductor?

Remotely changing the levitation height of a superconductor allows for precise control over the levitation force, which can be useful in various applications such as transportation systems or magnetic bearings.

How is the levitation height of a superconductor changed remotely?

The levitation height of a superconductor can be changed remotely by adjusting the strength of the magnetic field produced by the magnet, or by changing the temperature of the superconductor to alter its critical temperature.

What are the potential challenges in remotely changing the levitation height of a superconductor?

One potential challenge is maintaining a stable magnetic field or temperature control to ensure consistent levitation height. Another challenge is overcoming the strong repulsive forces between the superconductor and magnet, which may require specialized equipment or techniques.