Quantum levitation and quantum locking applications

In summary, the conversation discussed quantum locking and levitation, specifically in relation to a TED talk about using superconductors to float objects on a magnetic track. There were questions about the stability and potential for this technology, as well as concerns about the safety of handling superconductors at extremely low temperatures. There was also a question about the possibility of levitating a superconductor using Earth's magnetic field.
Moogroo
Hello Everyone,

I'm brand new to the forum as a poster, although I have been quietly reading the very interesting discussions going on here for a while! I'm hoping to slowly emerge from the shadows and start posting myself. Whilst I am by no means an expert in Physics, I do love the subject and try to learn as much as I can on my own.

(I appologize if this is not the correct place to post this thread!)

I was recently watching a talk on TED.com about quantum locking and quantum levitation (video here: http://www.ted.com/talks/boaz_almog_levitates_a_superconductor.html ).

The talk demonstrates quantum locking and quantum levitation, by floating a superconductor disk (0.5 microns thick and ~7.6cm in diameter) on top of a magnetic track.

Despite the fact that the science represented was clearly not the latest, it is however supposed to inform a lot of people about the potential for this technology.

There are a few things in the video that have been bugging me for the last couple of days. The speaker states that a 2mm thick and ~7.6cm diameter disk can support 1000kg (the weight of a small car). However in his demonstration he is able to change the orientation and direction of the disk very easily with his hand. If this is how easy it is to disturb the system, I can't help think that any amount of weight placed on the disk, whether its my toe, or a small car would send it toppling downward. We can't change Newton's Third Law after all.

So what would it take to create a stable system, aside from keeping the material cool enough to maintain its superconducting properties? Is simply increasing the magnetic field strength to satisfty Newtons law enough to increase stability and the addition of weight to the disk? is it as simple as that with quantum locking?

Is this demonstration pure hype? Or is there potential for this quantum locking effect to support and propel heavy loads, similar to magnetic levitation trains for example?

Physics news on Phys.org
I do not know how the involved forces scale with the thickness of the magnet, but if they scale linearly, 2mm <-> 1000kg correspond to 0.5µm <-> 250g or (on earth) 2.5N. It is easy to get forces of 2.5N by hand.

Is it possible to levitate a superconductor using Earth's magnetic field?

how come he was touching the superconductor which was at supercool temperatures with bare hands ?

Please don't post new questions in old threads.
I don't think there is a superconductor light enough for that.

You can touch very cold (or very hot) things if you do it quick enough. You can even pour liquid nitrogen over your hands, as long as the contact time is very short. The superconductor could have an isolating sheet of ice around it, so the surface is not as cold as the actual superconductor.

Related to Quantum levitation and quantum locking applications

1. What is quantum levitation and how does it work?

Quantum levitation is a phenomenon in which a superconducting material can be levitated above a magnetic surface without any physical contact. This is possible because of the Meissner effect, where a superconductor expels magnetic fields from its interior, causing it to float above the magnetic surface.

2. What are the potential applications of quantum levitation and quantum locking?

Quantum levitation and quantum locking have potential applications in a variety of fields, including transportation, energy storage, and medical imaging. They can also be used in frictionless bearings, flywheels, and high-speed trains.

3. What are the challenges in harnessing quantum levitation for practical use?

One of the main challenges in harnessing quantum levitation for practical use is the need for extremely low temperatures. Superconductivity, which is necessary for quantum levitation, occurs at very low temperatures. Additionally, the cost of superconducting materials and the difficulty in controlling the levitation process are also challenges.

4. How is quantum levitation different from traditional levitation methods?

Traditional levitation methods rely on physical contact, such as using air pressure or magnetic repulsion. Quantum levitation, on the other hand, does not require any physical contact and is based on the unique properties of superconducting materials.

5. Can quantum levitation be used to create perpetual motion machines?

No, quantum levitation does not violate the laws of thermodynamics and cannot be used to create perpetual motion machines. While it may seem like objects are floating or moving indefinitely, they are actually losing energy due to imperfections in the superconductor and the presence of external forces such as air resistance.