Remote Controlled Car frame design

In summary, the frame/chassis you choose is not as important as you think. The most important parts of an R/C car are the engine and the suspension. You will also want to consider what kind of parts you will need to design and build, and what kind of accessories you will need.
ecuas
hello!
I am an engineering student and am participating in a RC Car raacing comp in my college. The comp requires us to contsruct a RC car using either DC motors or miniature IC engines (4cc-6cc). The track will have many obstacles like sand pits, oil spills etc. The objective is to complete the track in the shortst possible time.
I want to know what kind of a frame/chassis should I opt for while building the car. I am not really sure of the importance of the frame in such a small car...will just a simple ladder frame suffice? Also, given the nature of the track, I am thinking of going for indpnt suspensons for each of the wheels. Is it possible to do it?

Engineering news on Phys.org
Have a look at the Kyosho website for inspiration. You probably want to be making a little IC powered buggy, but I don't know what your constraints are. Fully independent suspension sounds like a given, you'll also want to consider suspension geometry and damping rates for optimum performance. Oh, and the lighter the better.

http://www.kyosho.com/eng/products/rc/series.html?series_group_id=100019

If the other competitors are RC car enthusiasts, I'd suggest you go for something a bit more sophisticated thana ladder frame.

I've never had any exposure whatsoever to R/C racing (other than buying a cheap Radio Shack thing to scavenge the servos from). I'm estimating that if a 4-6cc motor is indicated, this thing can't be more than a foot long or so. After all, my weed-whacker has 30ccs. I do know a fair bit about how real 4 x 4's work, though, and for the serious stuff it's all about articulation and tread. Power is secondary, since that can be made up for with gearing.
I have a thought about the articulation angle, but I would definitely defer to Brewnog's expertise in the matter if I'm off base. There are all kinds of long-throw suspension gadgets available for toy cars, and they seem to work really well. What I'm thinking of is using those kinds of parts, but making a semi-box or ladder frame out of flexible plastic such as polyethylene with metal mounting plates. My logic is telling me that it should provide a far more adaptable suspension, and there isn't enough weight to warrant a rigid frame.

Last edited:
The biggest question is: how much of this car has to be custom designed and fabricated, and how much of it can be off the shelf components? There are without a doubt very advanced OTS R/C cars out there that could navigate the course VERY quickly, so you'll want to look at those designs for inspiration. I would go to your local R/C store and look at what exists out there, and navigate to www.towerhobbies.com as they have almost everything R/C there.

Are you going to want to go 2wd or 4wd? Nitro or Electric? I would say you design would be simpler if you used electric, but if you're in it to win it nitro will be lighter and more powerful. You can get a LOT of power out of a nitro IC engine. In off-road nitro engines, 4-6cc is a BIG engine; take for example the http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXMDK4&P=0", it's a 4.6cc engine (which is considered a big block in RC land) and puts down 2.95hp at 38,000 rpms. Problem is, it will require a transmission and centrifugal clutch to make it work, can you use existing components for that?

For chassis and suspension, I would definitely go to a local hobby store and look at what already exists before you begin reinventing the wheel. Depending on the obstacles you'll have to navigate, you will probably be most interested in a buggy or stadium truck approach, keeping things as small (and as light) as you can. Depending on what kind of parts you need to design, and what you can use off the shelf, a hobby store will be you best friend.

Last edited by a moderator:
http://www.tamiyausa.com/product/category.php?sub-id=36050|36100|36115|36125|36150|36170|36180|36200|36225|36250|36350

They make the highest quality RC car parts.

Last edited by a moderator:
@ Mech Engineer:
thnx.
i was thinking of using an IC engine...but as u said the clutching n tansmission assembly is a problem. i can use readymade components for them...but here availability is a problem. can manage it tho. the other thing was the steering assembly...are readymade assemblies available?

You will be able to find complete transmissions and clutches that can be bought as replacement parts from either hobby stores or www.towerhobbies.com, for example:

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXKFB5&P=7

This is a full replacement transmission for a Traxxas T-Maxx. It is compatible with 2wd or 4wd applications, and includes a disc brake for servo-actuated brakes. If you look at how the transmission is used in a fully assembled T-maxx, you will see one servo is used to control throttle and brakes, using a simple lever system. I'm sure you can find similar products from other manufacturers.

As for steering, that should be an easy application after looking at existing designs. All you will need is two steering knuckles with bearings, a servo, and some links to tie it all together. it's difficult to explain, you will need to go to a hobby store and see for yourself.

If the track consists of sand and oil, it seems to me one of the major problems will be spinning wheels. The more powerful the car, the worse the problem. With electric 2WD, the undriven wheels could serve as a reference and limit how much faster the driven wheels can turn. With electric 4WD, if all motors are supplied the same voltage, one wheel could spin faster than the others only with the loss of a proportionate amount of torque.

Related to Remote Controlled Car frame design

1. What materials are best for constructing a remote controlled car frame?

The best materials for a remote controlled car frame are lightweight and durable, such as carbon fiber, aluminum, or titanium. These materials provide strength and stability while also keeping the car light enough for optimal performance.

2. How important is the design of the frame in relation to the car's performance?

The design of the frame is crucial to the car's performance. A well-designed frame can improve stability, handling, and speed, while a poorly designed one can hinder performance and potentially cause damage to the car.

3. What factors should be considered when designing a remote controlled car frame?

Some important factors to consider when designing a remote controlled car frame include weight, balance, aerodynamics, and the type of terrain the car will be driven on. It's also important to consider the weight and placement of the electronic components that will be attached to the frame.

4. Are there any common mistakes to avoid when designing a remote controlled car frame?

One common mistake to avoid is using a frame that is too heavy, as this can negatively impact the car's performance. Another mistake is not properly balancing the weight of the car, which can affect handling and stability. It's also important to avoid using weak or flimsy materials that may not withstand the demands of remote control car racing.

5. Is it necessary to have a specific design for different types of remote controlled car races?

While there may not be a specific design for each type of remote controlled car race, it's important to consider the specific requirements and challenges of each race when designing a car frame. For example, a race on a rough and bumpy terrain may require a more rugged and durable frame, while a race on a smooth track may benefit from a more aerodynamic design.