Car Design Project - Ideas to Beat Other Cars in Races

In summary, Connor is designing a car that will throw other cars off the racetrack. He has a few ideas, but they are all complicated and not plausible.
bigmama
Hello everyone,

I am taking physics this year, and our first big project is to design a car that will throw the other cars off the racetrack. (seen below)

http://img509.imageshack.us/img509/5526/carsketchzu4.jpg

We have the basic car, but now we have to modify it to beat all the other cars.

We have a few ideas:

1. Attach a spatula to the end of the car that flips the other car underneath after x amount of time. (This seems the coolest, but also the hardest..is it even possible!?)

2. Take off all but the bare essentials and load it up with weights. This will make it low to the ground and hard to knock off.

3. Take off the wheels and most of the frame. It sounds wierd, but we are pushing the car forward along the track, so it would still move forward. It most likely would never come off the race track..

4. Attach magnets to the bottom of the car so that it is attracted to the track and doesn't come off as easily.

...any other ideas? Are these plausible, or just stupid?

Thanks a ton in advance for all your help, and I hope to be a contributing member of this forum!

-Connor

Last edited by a moderator:
Engineering news on Phys.org
Put a heay flywheel in your car and use a low slung (blade) designed to get under the wheels of the other cars.

Good idea about the magnet (if the track is suitable for that of course).

Just to help you out, what kind of track is it? Length? Elevation?
A steep front of the car starting all the way from just above the track could be a solution to literary make the other car jump out of your way. Forgive the pun;P

magnets could work, depending what the track is made out of... Pack a lot of force punch for the weight, compared to just loading the car up with ballast.

I like the flywheel idea, that is a very simple way to store up a huge amount of energy which you can then unleash on your enemies without making a really complicated system mechanically.

Nice Porsche 959 model!

http://www.sport-cars.org/site_img/large/porsche-959-9.jpg

That one's not a model though. ;)

Related to Car Design Project - Ideas to Beat Other Cars in Races

1. How can I come up with unique and innovative ideas for my car design project?

In order to come up with unique and innovative ideas for your car design project, you can do research on current car designs and technologies, brainstorm with a team or group, and think outside the box. You can also draw inspiration from other industries such as aerospace or technology.

2. What are some important factors to consider when designing a car for races?

Some important factors to consider when designing a car for races include aerodynamics, weight distribution, engine power and performance, suspension, and tires. These factors can greatly impact the speed and handling of the car.

3. How can I ensure that my car design will beat other cars in races?

To ensure that your car design will beat other cars in races, you can conduct tests and simulations to analyze its performance. You can also make adjustments and improvements based on the data collected from these tests. Additionally, collaborating with experienced race car drivers can provide valuable insights and feedback.

4. What are some common mistakes to avoid in car design for races?

Some common mistakes to avoid in car design for races include ignoring the importance of aerodynamics, not considering weight distribution, neglecting the importance of suspension and tires, and not conducting enough testing and simulations. It is also important to keep up with the latest technologies and advancements in the industry.

5. How can I make my car design stand out in a highly competitive race?

To make your car design stand out in a highly competitive race, you can focus on optimizing its performance and efficiency. This can include reducing weight, improving aerodynamics, and fine-tuning the engine and other components. You can also incorporate unique design elements or technologies that set your car apart from others.