Relativistic Addition of Velocities

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of relative velocities in special relativity, specifically when two spaceships are traveling in opposite directions at 0.75c. It is then explained that the argument of one spaceship appearing to be traveling at 1.5c is incorrect due to the limitations of the speed of light. The actual speed of the other ship in the ship reference frame is calculated to be 0.96c using the special relativity equation for relative velocities.
ManicPIxie
This question comes from a previous years exam as practice for my upcoming.

Homework Statement

Two spaceships are launched from Earth, going in opposite directions. Eventually, both spaceships have a velocity of 0.75c (where c is the speed of light), each in their respective directions. A confused relative of yours points out that, if you take the point of view of one of the spaceships, it would seem that the Earth would be moving away at 0.75c and the other ship would be moving away at 1.5c. Explain what is wrong with this argument, and calculate the actual speed of the other ship in the ship reference frame using special relativity.

Homework Equations

ux = (u'x + v)/(1+ vux/c2)

The Attempt at a Solution

Well, first off the problem with the original argument is that special relativity states that nothing can exceed the speed of light. (1.50c > 1.00c)

I'm pretty sure I know how to do this, my main issue is defining u'x.
I have it as u'x = 0.75c

Using u'x = 0.75c we have:
and v = 0.75c

(0.75c + 0.75c)/(1 + (0.75c)2/c2)
= 1.50c/1.5625
=0.96c

Does this make sense for the "actual speed of the other ship in the ship reference frame using special relativity"? (This wording is very poor as well, I'm 99% sure it means the speed of ship 1, as seen from ship 2).

Physics news on Phys.org
ManicPIxie said:
I'm pretty sure I know how to do this, my main issue is defining u'x.
I have it as u'x = 0.75c
ManicPIxie said:
I'm 99% sure it means the speed of ship 1, as seen from ship 2).
Yes, you're correct.

Related to Relativistic Addition of Velocities

What is the concept of Relativistic Addition of Velocities?

The concept of Relativistic Addition of Velocities is a fundamental principle in the theory of special relativity. It states that when two objects are moving at high speeds relative to each other, their velocities cannot be simply added together using classical Newtonian mechanics. Instead, the velocities must be combined using the Lorentz transformation equations, taking into account the effects of time dilation and length contraction.

Why is Relativistic Addition of Velocities important?

Relativistic Addition of Velocities is important because it accurately describes the behavior of objects moving at high speeds, which is necessary for understanding phenomena such as the behavior of particles in particle accelerators and the motion of objects in space. It also corrects for the limitations of classical mechanics at high speeds, allowing for more precise calculations and predictions.

How does Relativistic Addition of Velocities differ from classical addition of velocities?

In classical mechanics, velocities can be simply added together, regardless of their relative speeds. However, in Relativistic Addition of Velocities, the velocities must be combined using the Lorentz transformation equations, which take into account the effects of time dilation and length contraction. This is because at high speeds, the laws of classical mechanics break down and the effects of special relativity become significant.

What is the formula for calculating the Relativistic Addition of Velocities?

The formula for calculating the Relativistic Addition of Velocities is v = (u + w) / (1 + uw/c^2), where v is the combined velocity, u is the velocity of the first object, w is the velocity of the second object, and c is the speed of light.

Are there any limitations to the Relativistic Addition of Velocities?

Yes, there are limitations to the Relativistic Addition of Velocities. It is only applicable for objects moving at constant velocities in a straight line, and it does not account for other factors such as acceleration or forces acting on the objects. Additionally, it is only valid for objects moving at speeds close to the speed of light, and at lower speeds, the effects of special relativity are negligible and classical mechanics can be used instead.