Relativistic Addition of Velocities

In summary, the Faraway Point starbase launches a probe towards the starships approaching from the same direction. The probe has a velocity relative to the Picard of -0.895c. The Picard approaches the starbase with a speed of 0.795c and the La Forge approaches with a speed of 0.895c. To find the velocity of the probe relative to the La Forge, we can use the formula V_{a/c} = \frac{V_{a/b} + V_{b/c}}{1 + (V_{a/b} V_{b/c})/c^2}. Working backwards, we can also find the velocity of the probe relative to the Faraway Point starbase.
ihearyourecho

Homework Statement

Faraway Point starbase launches a probe toward the starships approaching from the same direction. The probe has a velocity relative to the Picard of -0.895c. The Picard approaches starbase Faraway Point with a speed of 0.795c, and the La Forge approaches the starbase with a speed of 0.895c.

A) What is the velocity of the probe relative to the La Forge?
B) What is the velocity of the probe relative to Faraway Point starbase?

Homework Equations

v23=(v21+v13)/(1+(v21+v13)/c^2)

The Attempt at a Solution

Okay, this stuff really confuses me. I don't even know how to label them because there are four entities in the problem, but this equation only allows for three. Also, I'm not sure what the velocities of the Picard and the La Forge are relative to (I think to the Faraway Point?) Either way, I need a little help getting on the right path with this then hopefully I can take it from there.

I'm also not that great at the algebra of moving around the equation, but I may be able to handle that.

Physics news on Phys.org
Your relativistic addition of velocities (I'll call it RAV from now on) formula is incorrect. This is the right one.

[tex]
V_{a/c} = \frac{V_{a/b} + V_{b/c}}{1 + (V_{a/b} V_{b/c})/c^2}
[/tex]

The speeds of the starships are given in the starbase's frame of reference. The result of RAV for Picard is given. Work backwards to find the probe's velocity relative to the starbase.

Use this result and another implementation of the RAV to find the velocity of the probe relative to La Forge.

Oh, thanks. I looked at the book too fast (I guess) when I was writing down the equation. It's not that bad at all.

Related to Relativistic Addition of Velocities

What is the concept of "Relativistic Addition of Velocities"?

"Relativistic Addition of Velocities" is a principle in special relativity that describes how velocities add up when objects are moving at significant fractions of the speed of light. It states that the combined velocity of two objects can never exceed the speed of light, regardless of their individual velocities.

How is "Relativistic Addition of Velocities" different from classical addition of velocities?

In classical physics, velocities simply add up linearly, meaning that if two objects are moving at 50 km/h and 60 km/h respectively, their combined velocity is 110 km/h. However, in "Relativistic Addition of Velocities", the combined velocity is calculated using a more complex formula that takes into account the effects of time dilation and length contraction at high speeds.

Can "Relativistic Addition of Velocities" be applied to any type of motion?

Yes, the principles of "Relativistic Addition of Velocities" can be applied to any type of motion, whether it is linear or circular. It is a fundamental concept in special relativity that applies to all objects moving at significant fractions of the speed of light.

What are some real-life examples of "Relativistic Addition of Velocities"?

One example of "Relativistic Addition of Velocities" is the time dilation experienced by astronauts traveling at high speeds in space. Another example is the observed increase in mass of particles in a particle accelerator due to their high velocities. Additionally, the Doppler effect, which is commonly observed in everyday life, is also a result of the relativistic addition of velocities.

What are the implications of "Relativistic Addition of Velocities" for space travel?

The principles of "Relativistic Addition of Velocities" have significant implications for space travel. It means that as an object approaches the speed of light, its mass and energy increase infinitely. This makes it practically impossible for any object to reach the speed of light, which is a key factor in space travel and exploration.