Relativistic Relative Velocity Problem

In summary, the conversation discusses setting up a problem involving two particles moving at different speeds in different reference frames. The correct equation to use in this situation is determined by correctly setting up the reference frames, and one way to do this is by checking the non-relativistic case. It is also noted that notation and symbols can vary, but it is more straightforward to use the basic relativistic velocity addition formula to solve these types of problems.
rtareen
Homework Statement
Two particles are created in a high-energy accelerator and move off in opposite directions. The speed of one particle, as measured in the laboratory, is 0.65c, and the speed of each particle relative to the other is 0.95c. What is the speed of the second particle, as measured in the laboratory?
Relevant Equations
##v_x' = \frac{v_x - u}{1 - uv_x/c^2}## (1)
##v_x = \frac{v_x' + u}{1 + uv_x'/c^2}## (2)
Heres how I tried to set up the problem.

I took the laboratory to be S and the frame of the particle whose speed we know to be S', so that the speed of S' relative to S is u = 0.65c.

Also, by convention, S' moves to the right of S, so that S moves to the left of S'.

Next, we know that the speed of particle two as viewed from particle 1's frame is ##v_x' = 0.95c##. So since we know ##v_x'## and are trying to find ##v_x##, I'd use equation 2. But this gives the wrong answer. If we use equation 1 we end up with the correct answer of 0.784c.

What are the official rules for doing this? How can I know when to use which, if I can't always go by the notation?

Physics news on Phys.org
Equation (2) is going to give ##v_x > v_x'##, so that is clearly wrong. The rule is that you have to set up your reference frames correctly. If you ended up with equation (2) then you got the signs wrong and have the two particles moving in the same direction.

Likes rtareen
PeroK said:
Equation (2) is going to give ##v_x > v_x'##, so that is clearly wrong. The rule is that you have to set up your reference frames correctly. If you ended up with equation (2) then you got the signs wrong and have the two particles moving in the same direction.

Sticking with the original notation, would it be correct to say that we must choose S and S' so that ##v_x'## is always moving in the same direction as S' relative to S?

Primes and other such symbols are used differently by different people. Instead of trying to remember where the primes and negative signs go, I find it more straightforward to start with the basic relativistic velocity addition formula is $$v_{\text{AC}}= \frac{v_{\text{AB}}+v_{\text{BC}}}{1+\frac{v_{\text{AB}}*v_{\text{BC}}}{c^2}}.$$ The notation is vij = velocity of i relative to j. This is the relativistic analog of a passenger (A) running inside a train (B) which moves relative to the ground (C) with all velocities positive.

In this case I would define A = one particle, and C = other particle in which case vAC =+ 0.95 c. The leftover subscript, B refers to the lab. What remains is to set one of vAB or vBC equal to 0.65 c and solve for the other.

Likes PeroK
rtareen said:
Sticking with the original notation, would it be correct to say that we must choose S and S' so that ##v_x'## is always moving in the same direction as S' relative to S?
I'm not sure I understand what that means. One way to get the numerator is check the non-relativistic case. E.g.
Two particles are created in a low-energy accelerator and move off in opposite directions. The speed of one particle, as measured in the laboratory, is ##u = 65 m/s##, and the speed of each particle relative to the other is ##v' = 95 m/s##. What is the speed of the second particle, ##v##, as measured in the laboratory?

That should be easy ##v = v' - u = 95 - 65 m/s##.

Or, more precisely, using the full relativistic formula: $$v = \frac{v' - u}{1 - uv'/c^2}$$
It's probably a good exercise to write out all the frames of reference in full detail, but there can't be any doubt what the answer must be.

Related to Relativistic Relative Velocity Problem

1. What is the concept of relativistic relative velocity?

The concept of relativistic relative velocity refers to the calculation of the velocity of an object in relation to another object, taking into account the effects of special relativity. This means that the velocity of an object can appear different depending on the observer's frame of reference.

2. How is relativistic relative velocity different from classical relative velocity?

Relativistic relative velocity takes into account the effects of special relativity, such as time dilation and length contraction, which are not accounted for in classical relative velocity calculations. This is important when dealing with objects moving at high speeds, close to the speed of light.

3. What is the formula for calculating relativistic relative velocity?

The formula for calculating relativistic relative velocity is v = (u + v) / (1 + uv/c^2), where v is the relative velocity, u is the velocity of the first object, and v is the velocity of the second object. c is the speed of light in a vacuum, which is approximately 3 x 10^8 meters per second.

4. Can relativistic relative velocity be greater than the speed of light?

No, according to the laws of special relativity, the speed of light is the maximum speed that any object can travel. Therefore, relativistic relative velocity cannot be greater than the speed of light.

5. How does relativistic relative velocity affect the perception of time and distance between objects?

Relativistic relative velocity can cause time dilation, which means that time will appear to slow down for an object moving at high speeds. This also affects the perception of distance, as length contraction occurs, making objects appear shorter in the direction of motion. This is all relative to the observer's frame of reference.