Relative Brightness of A-E, C+D

In summary, there are five light bulbs arranged in two parallel connections and one series connection. Light bulbs C and D are in a series connection and are in a parallel connection with E. Light bulbs A and B are in a parallel connection. The relative brightness of the light bulbs is dependent on the voltage and current dividers used to examine the circuit.
Empire
There are five light bulbs. Light bulb C and D are in a series connection. C and D are in a parallel connection with E. Light Bulb A and B are in a parallel connection. The two parallel connections are wired in a series connection. What would be their relative brightness? I'm thinking that A=B=E=C+D

|----power---------------|
|*******************|
|*******************|
|**|--A--|***|-C-D-|**|
|---|****|----|****|---|
***|--B--|***|--E--|***

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
First you have to make at least one assumption. I would assume that the light bulbs are identical, and that "brightness" means "total power emited". Then brightness ~ I2.

I disagree with your result (assuming I did it correctly). You need to use the voltage and current divider to examine this circuit.

Last edited:

The relative brightness of A, B, E, C, and D would depend on the individual wattage or power rating of each light bulb. However, in general, A, B, and E would have the same brightness because they are in a parallel connection. C and D, being in a series connection, would have the same brightness as each other but potentially different from A, B, and E. Therefore, the relative brightness of A, B, E, C, and D would be A=B=E=C+D. However, this could change if the individual wattage of each light bulb is different.

Related to Relative Brightness of A-E, C+D

1. What is the definition of relative brightness?

Relative brightness is a measurement of the perceived brightness of an object in comparison to another object. It takes into account factors such as distance, size, and reflectivity.

2. How is the relative brightness of objects A-E, C+D determined?

The relative brightness of objects A-E, C+D is determined by comparing the amount of light reflected or emitted by each object, taking into account their respective distances and sizes.

3. Why is the relative brightness of objects A-E, C+D important in scientific research?

The relative brightness of objects A-E, C+D is important in scientific research because it allows us to make accurate measurements and comparisons between different objects in the universe. It also helps us understand the properties and behaviors of these objects.

4. How does distance affect the relative brightness of objects A-E, C+D?

The relative brightness of objects A-E, C+D decreases as distance increases. This is due to the inverse square law, which states that the intensity of light decreases in proportion to the square of the distance from the source.

5. Can the relative brightness of objects A-E, C+D change over time?

Yes, the relative brightness of objects A-E, C+D can change over time. This can be due to factors such as changes in distance, size, or reflectivity of the objects. It can also be affected by external factors such as atmospheric conditions or the presence of other objects in the surrounding area.