Related Rates Homework Practice: Examples and Solutions"

In summary: Please try to break your problems down into smaller, more manageable chunks, and post them one at a time. Thanks.In summary, the student is having trouble with related rates, and is looking for confirmation that they are on the right track and that they are solving the questions correctly. They have attached a few related rates problems with their attempt at a solution. The student is on the right track with these problems, but they have noticed an error in one of the problems.
cvc121

Homework Statement

I am having some trouble with related rates and would like some confirmation if I am on the right track and approaching the questions correctly. I have attached a few related rates problems that I have worked through below.

Homework Equations

N/A

The Attempt at a Solution

The questions along with my attempt at the solution has been attached below (the answers for #4 are meant to be negative since water is leaking out). Am I on the right track with these problems? Which questions am I doing incorrectly? Thanks. All help is very much appreciated!

Attachments

• 20160429_215234[1].jpg
    20160429_215234[1].jpg
    34.2 KB · Views: 358
  • 20160429_215246[1].jpg
    20160429_215246[1].jpg
    44.7 KB · Views: 356
  • 20160429_215256[1].jpg
    20160429_215256[1].jpg
    45.1 KB · Views: 356
  • 20160429_215304[1].jpg
    20160429_215304[1].jpg
    33.6 KB · Views: 351
Physics news on Phys.org
In problem 6c,what are the units for the rate at which surface area is changing w.r.t. time?

m2/s. Thanks for pointing out that mistake. Are all the other questions looking pretty good? Are my methods for solving correct?

cvc121 said:
m2/s. Thanks for pointing out that mistake. Are all the other questions looking pretty good? Are my methods for solving correct?
I haven't checked everything in detail, but you seem to be taking the right approach.

cvc121 said:

Homework Statement

I am having some trouble with related rates and would like some confirmation if I am on the right track and approaching the questions correctly. I have attached a few related rates problems that I have worked through below.

Homework Equations

N/A

The Attempt at a Solution

The questions along with my attempt at the solution has been attached below (the answers for #4 are meant to be negative since water is leaking out). Am I on the right track with these problems? Which questions am I doing incorrectly? Thanks. All help is very much appreciated!

For your future reference: many PF helpers will not look at problems that are given as screenshots or photos, and fewer still will look at solutions presented that way. Typed problem statements and solutions are preferred here, and for various good reasons. See the thread entitled "guidelines for students and helpers", by Vela.

To be honest, though: your posted images and written works are clearer and more legible than most.

Last edited:
Ray Vickson said:
For your future reference: many PF helpers will not look at problems that are given as screenshots or photos, and fewer still will look at solutions presented that way. Typed problem statements and solutions are preferred here, and for various good reasons. See the thread entitled "guidelines for students and helpers", by Vela.
@cvc121, I concur with Ray's sentiments. One problem with solutions posted as images is that if there is an error in the work, we can't just insert some text at the location of the error -- we have to describe the location in words, and then say what is incorrect. Another problem is that too often the images show up sideways or upside-down. Images are fine for drawings and the like, but we definitely prefer that the work be included inline

Not to mention that four different problems in one post is contrary to forum standards, even worse with them as images.

Related to Related Rates Homework Practice: Examples and Solutions"

What is a related rates question?

A related rates question is a type of problem in calculus where the rate of change of one variable is related to the rate of change of another variable. These types of questions often involve finding the rate of change of a specific quantity at a given point in time.

How do you solve a related rates question?

To solve a related rates question, you must first identify the variables involved and their rates of change. Then, you can use the chain rule and implicit differentiation to create an equation involving these variables. Finally, you can solve for the unknown rate of change by plugging in the given values and solving the equation.

What are some real-world applications of related rates?

Related rates problems have many real-world applications, such as finding the rate at which the height of a tree is changing, the rate at which water is leaking from a tank, or the rate at which the angle of elevation of a plane is changing as it flies overhead.

What are some common mistakes when solving related rates questions?

One common mistake when solving related rates questions is not properly identifying the variables involved and their rates of change. Another mistake is not using the chain rule or implicit differentiation correctly. It's also important to pay attention to the units of measurement and to use appropriate units in the final answer.

How can I improve my skills in solving related rates questions?

The best way to improve your skills in solving related rates questions is to practice and familiarize yourself with different types of problems. You can also break down the problem into smaller steps and make sure you fully understand the concepts and equations involved. Seeking help from a teacher or tutor can also be beneficial.