Related rates and sailing ship

In summary: The two triangles are not congruent, because the ships are going different speeds, and the straight line between ships A and B does not hit the midpoint of the line that joins the two starting points. However, even though the triangles have different sizes, they are similar, meaning that their corresponding sides are proportional.Therefore, the sides of the right triangle are proportional to the sides of the left triangle, and the sides of the left triangle are proportional to the sides of the right triangle. So,d/dt(D1 + D2) = (30t+40t)/2 = 70 km/h.
Nitrate

Homework Statement

At 9 a.m ship A is 50 km [E] of ship B. Ship a is sailing [N] at 40 km/h and ship B is sailing at 30 km/h. How fast is the distance between them changing at 12 am?

Homework Equations

x^2 + y^2 = z^2
dz/dt [t=3h] = ?
db/dt = 30 km/h
da/dt = 40 km/h

The Attempt at a Solution

My instructor made me draw out a diagram
the diagram helped me determine that dy/dt = 70 km/h and that x = 50 km
so: x^2 + y^2 = z^2
50^2 + y^2 = z^2
2y(dy/dt) = 2z (dz/dt)
2y(70) = 2z (dz/dt)

Not sure if I'm doing this right/what to do next.

Physics news on Phys.org
Nitrate said:

Homework Statement

At 9 a.m ship A is 50 km [E] of ship B. Ship a is sailing [N] at 40 km/h and ship B is sailing at 30 km/h. How fast is the distance between them changing at 12 am?

Homework Equations

x^2 + y^2 = z^2
dz/dt [t=3h] = ?
db/dt = 30 km/h
da/dt = 40 km/h

50^2 + y^2 = z^2
2y(dy/dt) = 2z (dz/dt)
2y(70) = 2z (dz/dt)

This seems like the right approach, but it's hard to follow, since you haven't identified what x, y, and z represent.

What is the problem asking you to find?

BTW, your instructor is doing you a favor by making you draw a diagram...

Nitrate said:

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

x^2 + y^2 = z^2
dz/dt [t=3h] = ?
db/dt = 30 km/h
da/dt = 40 km/h

50^2 + y^2 = z^2
2y(dy/dt) = 2z (dz/dt)
2y(70) = 2z (dz/dt)

Mark44 said:
This seems like the right approach, but it's hard to follow, since you haven't identified what x, y, and z represent.

What is the problem asking you to find?

BTW, your instructor is doing you a favor by making you draw a diagram...

Heh, didn't mean to make it seem like my instructor forced me to draw a diagram.
Anyway, I believe the problem is asking for dz/dt [t=3hours] I'm not sure what you mean by identify x, y, and z.

By "identify" I mean what do x, y, and z represent in your drawing?

Mark44 said:
By "identify" I mean what do x, y, and z represent in your drawing?

I'm not entirely sure.
Just know that the x = 50 km the distance between A and B.
Here's the diagram:

Attachments

• diagram.png
    diagram.png
    1.3 KB · Views: 481
Well, isn't z the distance between the two ships?

Mark44 said:
Well, isn't z the distance between the two ships?

Well, yes. Hmm.
I guess x is the distance between A-B at 9 am
I'm still not sure what y is.

There's no point in calling that distance x, since it is known (50 km). Also, adding the ships' speeds doesn't do you any good, since they are moving opposite directions on different tracks.

At any time t after 9:00AM, ship A will be 30t (km) south of its starting point, and ship A will be 40t (km) north of its starting point. Call the distance between the two ships D1 + D2, where D1 is the length of the hypotenuse of the left triangle (with vertices ship B, its starting point, and a point on the line connecting the two starting points) and D2 is the hypotenuse of the right triangle (with vertices ship A, its starting point, and a point on the line connecting the two starting points).

The two triangles are not congruent, because the ships are going different speeds, and the straight line between ships A and B does not hit the midpoint of the line that joins the two starting points. However, even though the triangles have different sizes, they are similar, meaning that their corresponding sides are proportional.

Use this information to identify all three sides of each triangle at any time after 9AM, and find d/dt(D1 + D2) at 12:00 noon.

Related to Related rates and sailing ship

1. How are related rates applied to sailing ships?

Related rates involve finding the rate of change of one quantity with respect to another. In the context of sailing, this could involve determining the rate at which the distance between two ships is changing, or the rate at which the angle of the ship's sail is changing.

2. Can related rates be used to predict the path of a sailing ship?

Related rates can be used to determine the instantaneous velocity and acceleration of a sailing ship, which can give insight into the path it will take. However, factors such as wind direction and strength may also play a significant role in determining the ship's path.

3. What mathematical concepts are involved in related rates and sailing ships?

Related rates involve the application of calculus, specifically derivatives and rates of change. In the context of sailing ships, trigonometry and vector calculus may also be used to model the changing positions and velocities of ships.

4. Can related rates be used to optimize the speed of a sailing ship?

Yes, related rates can be used to determine the optimal angle of a ship's sail to maximize its speed. By finding the rate of change of the ship's velocity with respect to the angle of the sail, the optimal angle can be determined for maximum speed.

5. Are there any limitations to using related rates in the context of sailing ships?

Related rates can provide helpful insights into the behavior of sailing ships, but they may not account for all factors at play. For example, the changing weather conditions and unpredictable nature of the ocean may affect the accuracy of related rate calculations.