Need help finding the volume enclosed

• Thread starter Another
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Volume
In summary, the volume in octane 1 enclosed by the planes defined by x+y+2z=2 and 2x+2y+z=4 can be calculated by finding the difference between the volumes of two tetrahedral pyramids that share a common peak and have the same height above the xy plane. This simplifies the calculation by using the formula for the volume of a pyramid, which is 1/3 * base area * height. The resulting volume is 2.
Another

Homework Statement

Find the volume in octane 1 enclosed.
x + y + 2z = 2
2x + 2y +z = 4

∫∫∫ dV

Homework Equations

-

The Attempt at a Solution

∫∫∫ dv = [∫(0⇒2) [∫(2-2z)⇒(2-½z) [∫(2-2z-y)⇒(2-½z-y) dx] dy] dz]
= [∫(0⇒2) [∫(2-2z)⇒(2-½z) [x]|(2-2z-y)⇒(2-½z-y) dy] dz]
= [∫(0⇒2) [∫(2-2z)⇒(2-½z) (2-½z-y)-(2-2z-y) dy] dz]
= [∫(0⇒2) [∫(2-2z)⇒(2-½z) (3/4)z dy] dz]
= [∫(0⇒2) [¾yz]|(2-2z)⇒(2-½z) dz]
= [∫(0⇒2) ¾z[(2-½z)-(2-2z)] dz]
= [∫(0⇒2) ¾z^2 dz]
= (¾)(⅓) z^3 |(0⇒2)
= (3/12) [2^3 - 0^3]
= (3/12) (8)
= 2

Am I wrong?

I do not understand some time i got the answer above 2 when i changed dxdydz dydzdx and dzdydx

18280629_1345031178911504_1990778469_n.jpg
[/B]

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Another:

I confess I have some trouble seeing the details of what the diagram seems to be trying to communicate, but it appears to be you are showing the two tetrahedral pyramids corresponding to the two plane defining equations. Since the planes apparently intersect only on the xz boundary plane, you might find it easier to calculate the desired volume as the difference between the two pyramid volumes. Since the two pyramids seem to share the same peak, and therefore have the same height above the xy plane, this should simplify the calculation.

Hope this helps.

Regards,
Buzz

Likes Another

Related to Need help finding the volume enclosed

1. What is the formula for finding the volume of a shape?

The formula for finding the volume of a shape depends on the type of shape. For a cube or rectangular prism, the formula is length x width x height. For a cylinder, the formula is π x radius^2 x height. For a sphere, the formula is 4/3 x π x radius^3. It is important to know the correct formula for the specific shape you are working with.

2. How do I measure the dimensions of a shape to find its volume?

In order to find the volume of a shape, you will need to measure its dimensions. For a cube or rectangular prism, you will need to measure the length, width, and height. For a cylinder, you will need to measure the radius and height. For a sphere, you will need to measure the radius. Make sure to use the correct units of measurement, such as inches, centimeters, or meters.

3. Can I find the volume of an irregular shape?

Yes, you can find the volume of an irregular shape by using the method of displacement. This involves filling a graduated cylinder or other container with water and taking a measurement before and after placing the irregular shape in the container. The difference in the two measurements will give you the volume of the irregular shape.

4. Why is finding the volume important in science?

Finding the volume of a shape is important in science because it allows us to accurately measure and compare the amount of space an object occupies. This is essential in various fields such as chemistry, physics, and engineering, where precise measurements are crucial for experiments and calculations.

5. Are there any online resources that can help me find the volume of a shape?

Yes, there are many online resources that can help you find the volume of a shape. Some examples include online calculators, video tutorials, and step-by-step guides. You can also find specific formulas and explanations for different shapes on reputable educational websites or through a simple internet search.