Related rates and a spherical weather balloon

In summary, the problem asks for the rate of change of the surface area of a spherical weather balloon when its radius is 4m. Using the given information, the formula for volume of a sphere, and the formula for surface area of a sphere, the rate of change can be calculated by differentiating the volume formula and substituting the values. The final answer is 20106.2cm^2/min. The only error in the calculation was not converting the units correctly.
1irishman
(b]1. Homework Statement [/b]

A spherical weather balloon has a radius of 1m when it is 1500m high.
You observe that the radius increases at a rate of 2cm/min as it continues to rise.
At what rate is the surface area increasing when the radius is 4m?

Homework Equations

I thought volume of a sphere might be useful to help solve this question.
V = 4/3pi(r^3)

The Attempt at a Solution

I was not sure if the first sentence of the question could help me solve this problem or not, so i decided to try and solve it without using the info from there.

It looks like from the given information that the following might be the case:

if i let r be the radius then r = 4
the rate at which the radius increases with respect to time could be shown as:
dr/dt = 2

Now, this is where i get stuck; i am not sure if i am correct in making my next step to differentiate the volume of a sphere function, but this is what i arrived at:
if V=4/3pi(r^3)
THEN
dV/dt=4pi(r^2)
I am stuck at this point, because i don't know how to take it further, help please?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
You need to know the equation for the surface area of a sphere:

[tex]SA = 4 \pi r^2[/tex]

thank you for the formula.

Are my calculations correct?

DS/dt=8(pi)(r)dr/dt
=8(pi)(4)(2)
=201.062cm^2/min

Last edited:
Oh, almost! Try adding units into your calculation to see if you can figure out where you went wrong.

2cm/min is 5.556X10^-6m/s^2

ooops...4m = 400cm
so,
the result is 20106.2cm^2/min

in the future, how do i know which unit to convert?

Related to Related rates and a spherical weather balloon

What is a related rate?

A related rate is a mathematical concept that deals with the change of one variable with respect to another variable. In other words, it is the rate at which one quantity changes in relation to the change of another quantity.

How is related rate used in a spherical weather balloon?

In a spherical weather balloon, related rates can be used to calculate the change in the balloon's volume, height, and radius as it ascends or descends in the atmosphere. This information is important for understanding the balloon's movement and predicting its trajectory.

What factors affect the related rate of a spherical weather balloon?

The related rate of a spherical weather balloon is affected by various factors such as the atmospheric pressure, temperature, and wind speed. These factors can impact the balloon's volume, density, and buoyancy, which in turn affect its rate of ascent or descent.

How is the related rate of a spherical weather balloon calculated?

The related rate of a spherical weather balloon can be calculated using the chain rule in calculus. This involves taking the derivative of the balloon's volume, height, or radius with respect to time, and then using the given information to solve for the related rate.

What are some real-world applications of related rates and spherical weather balloons?

Related rates and spherical weather balloons have various real-world applications, such as in weather forecasting, studying air pollution and atmospheric conditions, and tracking the movement of objects in the atmosphere. They are also used in fields like aviation, aerospace engineering, and meteorology.