Reimann Integration, squares and cubes of functions

In summary, the conversation discusses whether the integrability of a function squared or cubed implies the integrability of the original function. A counterexample is provided for the first case, but with restrictions on the function being real and bounded, it appears that the integrability of the function cubed does imply the integrability of the original function. This is explained using the property that if a function is continuous on a compact interval and another function is integrable on that interval, then their composition is also integrable.
SiddharthM
I took a short break from the rudin-crunching. I'm now doing reimann's integral. Anyhow here's a question I've having trouble with.

Does f^2 is integrable imply that f is integrable?

-No, take f=1 on rationals, f=-1 on irrationals on [0,1].

Does the integrability of f^3 imply that f is integrable?

I can't find a counterexample. I'm not asking for a proof but a counterexample if there is one and if there isn't just let me know!

thanks for any help.

Physics news on Phys.org
Try f(x)=1/x and the integral from 1 to oo (infinity).

sorry forgot to add that f must be a real bounded function on [a,b].

The example I gave has f(x) real and bounded. In order not to use it you have to require both a and b to be finite.

yes! a and b must be finite!

With these restrictions it appears that f^3 integrable implies f integrable, since real numbers have only one real cube root.

If [tex]f[/tex] is continuous on a compact interval and [tex]g[/tex] is integrabl on that interval then [tex]f\circ g[/tex] is also integrable. That means if [tex]f^2[/tex] is integrable then [tex](f^2)^{1/2} = |f|[/tex] is integrable. And similarly [tex](f^3)^{1/3} =f [/tex] is integrable.

Thanks for the help fellas.

That's so straightforward why didn't is seeeee it.

Related to Reimann Integration, squares and cubes of functions

1. What is Reimann Integration?

Reimann Integration is a mathematical concept that measures the area under a curve by dividing it into smaller, simpler shapes and taking the limit as the width of these shapes approaches zero. It is used to calculate the definite integral of a function over a given interval.

2. How is Reimann Integration related to squares and cubes of functions?

Reimann Integration involves computing the area under a curve, which can be thought of as the sum of infinitely many rectangles with a width of dx and a height of the function value at a particular point. These rectangles can be visualized as squares and cubes for different types of functions, such as polynomial or trigonometric functions.

3. What is the difference between Reimann Integration and other methods of integration?

Reimann Integration is a specific method of calculating the definite integral that involves taking the limit of a sum. Other methods, such as the Fundamental Theorem of Calculus or substitution, involve different techniques for finding the integral of a function.

4. How do you determine the limits of integration for Reimann Integration?

The limits of integration for Reimann Integration are determined by the interval over which the definite integral is being calculated. The lower limit is the starting point of the interval and the upper limit is the endpoint of the interval.

5. What are some real-world applications of Reimann Integration?

Reimann Integration is used in many fields, including physics, engineering, and economics, to calculate areas and volumes, as well as to model and analyze continuous systems. It is also used in finance to calculate the value of financial derivatives.