Fourier, square sign wave, f(x)sin(kx) integration

In summary, the conversation revolves around Fourier Series decompositions and how to solve for individual coefficients using orthonormal bases. The specific question at hand is how to evaluate the numerator in equations for solving Fourier Series coefficients in general. The conversation mentions different approaches, including using integration by parts and the fact that for odd values of k, the integral of f(x)sin(kx) from 0 to 2π is equal to 4/k. The conversation also touches on the use of LaTeX in writing equations.
kostoglotov
I'm not sure whether to put this here or in Linear Algebra, if any Mod feels it should go in Linear Algebra I won't mind.

I've just been introduced to Fourier Series decompositions in my Linear Algebra text, and I understand all the core concepts so far from the Linear Algebra side of it (a function space, where orthonormal bases allow you to isolate and solve for individual coefficients in a given Fourier Series).

At the end of the decomposition ones sees (nb: [itex]\pi[/itex] is the length of any given base)

[tex]b_k = \frac{1}{\pi}\int_0^{2\pi}f(x)sin(kx)dx[/tex]

where [itex]f(x) =\left\{\begin{matrix}1, \ \ 0\leq x < \pi \\-1, \ \ \pi \leq x \leq 2\pi \end{matrix}\right.[/itex]

I tried a number of approaches involving integration by parts using values of integration between certain ranges of the square wave [itex]f(x)[/itex] taken by inspection, but these attempts have lead nowhere.

The text simply tells me that [itex]\int_0^{2\pi}f(x)sin(kx)dx = \frac{4}{k}[/itex] for odd k. It doesn't really explain how it came to that result, though it did earlier mention something about [tex]1 = \frac{4}{\pi}\left(1 - \frac{1}{3} + \frac{1}{5} - \frac{1}{7} + \frac{1}{9} - ... \right)[/tex] but I don't see exactly how that fits in...I can see something similar happening in there, but I'm not sure what.

Furthermore, for [itex]f(x)sin(x)[/itex], I can see that they are both odd functions, and that as such, over the same range, and given the definition of [itex]f(x)[/itex] that in fact [itex]f(x)sin(x) = |sin(x)|[/itex]. But that doesn't give the needed [itex]\frac{4}{k}[/itex] and doesn't help with [itex]f(x)sin(kx)[/itex].(edit: my bad it does give 4/k...was this correct then? It must be...ok, but is there a general case?)

How have they arrived at [itex]\int_0^{2\pi}f(x)sin(kx)dx = \frac{4}{k}[/itex], and how do I approach evaluating the numerator in these equations for solving Fourier Series coefficients in general?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Going the way ##
f(x)\sin(x) = |\sin(x)|## doesn't help much. Try going the way $$
\int_0^{2\pi}f(x)\sin(kx)dx = 2 \int_0^{\pi}f(x)\sin(kx)dx = 2 \int_0^{\pi}\sin(kx)dx = \\ \qquad {2\over k} \int_0^{k\pi}\sin(kx)d(kx) = {2\over k} \cos(kx) \Bigg |^0_{k\pi} = \frac{4}{k} $$

--

LaTeX hint: use \sin instead of sin

Last edited:
Likes kostoglotov

Related to Fourier, square sign wave, f(x)sin(kx) integration

What is Fourier analysis?

Fourier analysis is a mathematical technique used to decompose a complex signal into simpler sinusoidal components. It is often used in signal processing and image analysis to understand the frequency components of a given signal.

What is a square sign wave?

A square sign wave is a type of periodic waveform that alternates between two discrete levels, typically 0 and 1. It is characterized by sharp, abrupt transitions between the two levels, resulting in a square or rectangular shape. It is commonly used in digital electronics and signal processing.

What is the integration of f(x)sin(kx)?

The integration of f(x)sin(kx) is a mathematical operation that involves finding the antiderivative of the given function. In this case, it is the integral of a function multiplied by a sine function. The solution involves using integration by parts or other integration techniques.

What is the purpose of using Fourier analysis?

The purpose of using Fourier analysis is to understand the frequency components of a given signal. By decomposing a complex signal into simpler sinusoidal components, it allows us to analyze and manipulate the signal in the frequency domain, which can provide valuable insights and applications in various fields such as engineering, physics, and mathematics.

What is the significance of the constant k in f(x)sin(kx)?

The constant k in f(x)sin(kx) represents the angular frequency of the sinusoidal component. It determines the rate at which the function oscillates and can affect the amplitude and phase of the resulting signal. In Fourier analysis, the constant k is also known as the Fourier frequency and is measured in radians per unit time.