Referencing same book more than once (different pages) IEEE

• Thread starter EsoEng
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Book Ieee
In summary, when referencing the same book multiple times in an IEEE style paper, the first reference should include the author's name, title, publisher, and page numbers. Subsequent references only require the author's last name and page number(s) in parentheses. The full citation is only necessary for the first reference. For multiple pages from the same chapter, the chapter number can be used in parentheses. Footnotes are not used in the IEEE style, and all references should be included in the main body of the paper. When referencing different editions of the same book, the edition number can be included in the citation after the title. If the edition is not specified, it is not necessary to include it in the citation.
EsoEng

Homework Statement

How should I cite different pages of a single book in a report?

If I reference say page 29 of book x in a report, but later on in that same report I reference page 33 from book x, how should I list this in my references section?

If page 29 of book x is reference 1, should page 33 of book x also be reference 1 (perhaps using comas between page numbers?), or should it be reference 1a, or should it be treated as a completely separate citation, reference 2 for example?

Should I not include the page numbers at all and merely treat everything from book x as a single reference?

I am using the IEEE referencing system.

Thanks for any help.

Physics news on Phys.org

it is important to follow proper citation guidelines to accurately and ethically reference the work of others in your own reports. In the case of citing different pages of a single book, the best practice is to treat each page as a separate reference.

In the IEEE referencing system, each reference is assigned a number and listed in the order they appear in the text. Therefore, if you reference page 29 and page 33 from the same book, they should be listed as separate references, with page 29 being reference 1 and page 33 being reference 2. It is important to include the specific page numbers in the in-text citations and the reference list to provide the reader with the exact information used in your report.

In terms of formatting, you can use a comma to separate the page numbers within a single reference, such as "page 29, 33" in the in-text citation. In the reference list, you can list the page numbers as they appear in the book, such as "pp. 29, 33." This will help to clearly indicate to the reader that these are two separate pages being referenced from the same book.

It is not recommended to treat everything from a single book as a single reference, as it may be confusing for the reader to differentiate between different pages being cited. Additionally, it may not accurately reflect the specific information used from each page.

In summary, when citing different pages from a single book, it is best to treat each page as a separate reference and include the specific page numbers in both the in-text citations and the reference list. This will ensure accurate and clear referencing in your report.

I would recommend following the guidelines set by the IEEE referencing system. According to the IEEE Editorial Style Manual, when citing different pages from the same book, the reference number should only be used once and the specific page numbers should be indicated in the in-text citation. For example, if you are referencing page 29 and page 33 from book x, you would use reference 1 and indicate the page numbers in the in-text citation like this: [1, p. 29] and [1, p. 33]. This will ensure that the reader knows which specific pages you are referencing from the book and also maintains consistency in your references section. It is not necessary to use a separate reference for each page, as this could create confusion for the reader. However, if the information on page 33 is from a completely different source, then it should be treated as a separate citation and given its own reference number. I hope this helps clarify the proper way to cite different pages from the same book in your report.

Related to Referencing same book more than once (different pages) IEEE

1. How do I reference the same book multiple times in an IEEE style paper?

In the IEEE style, the first reference to a source should be given in full, including the author's name, title, publisher, and page numbers. For subsequent references to the same book, use the author's last name and the page number(s) in parentheses. For example: (Smith 58-60).

2. Do I need to include the full citation for each page I reference from the same book in an IEEE style paper?

No, in the IEEE style, subsequent references to the same book only require the author's last name and the page number(s) in parentheses. The full citation should only be given for the first reference to the source.

3. How do I reference multiple pages from the same chapter in an IEEE style paper?

In this case, you can use the chapter number instead of the page numbers in parentheses. For example: (Smith Ch. 5).

4. Can I use footnotes in an IEEE style paper to reference the same book multiple times?

No, the IEEE style does not use footnotes. All references should be included in the main body of the paper using in-text citations.

5. What if I am referencing different editions of the same book in an IEEE style paper?

You can include the edition number in the citation after the title. For example: (Smith, 3rd ed.). If the edition is not specified, it is not necessary to include it in the citation.