How to do Chicago style citation and bibliography

• Thread starter leroyjenkens
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Bibliography
In summary: I can't remember the name of the book or the author, but I found a website that listed all the different sources for a quote, with the main source, the page number, and the source of the quote. So if I wanted to use a source like "Mooney asserts," I would do something like this: 1. Mooney, full citation with page number 24 for example2. Mooney, 253. Quoted source, 14. Quoted source, 25. Quoted source, 3And so on? Wouldn't that look strange if you've cited 20 different pages?You shouldn't be concerned. This is the first and last time I'll be using Chicago style
leroyjenkens
I have about 10 different sources for this 10 page essay and I use the main book several times, and cite several different pages. It seems like I can't just have this book listed once in the bibliography and put a superscript 1 in the text every time I reference the book, because no one will know what page of the book that specific citation comes from. So I'm stuck with either listing the book 20 times in my bibliography, which is just ugly and something I can't believe would be correct, or I can just do the in text citation and put the book once in the bibliography, but list every page that is used. Is that the correct way to do it? Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
References in Text: Shortened Citations (14.14; 14.24 - 14.31)
  • The first in-text reference to a given source must be cited in full with the name of the author/s, title of the work, place of publication, name of the publisher, and page number/s of the cited reference (14.14, 14.18). For example: http://www.lib.sfu.ca/file-newest/10619/mooney1.jpg
  • Subsequent notes for sources that have already been cited may be shortened to the author's last name, abbreviated title, and the appropriate page reference (14.14, 14.18, 14.24 - 14.31). For example:
    http://www.lib.sfu.ca/file-newest/10619/mooney2.jpg
  • Immediately following notes that refer to the same source may be shortened even further to "ibid." (short for 'ibidem' - the Latin word for "in the same place") and the appropriate page reference (14.29). For example:
http://www.lib.sfu.ca/file-newest/10619/ibid.jpg
http://www.lib.sfu.ca/help/writing/chicago-turabian

Last edited by a moderator:
Likes leroyjenkens
Thank you. I've been searching all over for something like that.
So if I use Mooney as an example. I would reference it like:
1. Mooney, full citation with page number 24 for example
2. Mooney, 25
3. Mooney, 49
4. Mooney, 96
5. Mooney, 100
And so on? Wouldn't that look strange if you've cited 20 different pages? I've never seen a bibliography that looked like that.

Should we be concerned that you are trying Chicago style without the style manual in hand? I have seen pages of Ibid. Would not that suggest rather narrow sourcing?

I'm pretty sure that I still have my MLA manual. ETA: Yep, 1977

Doug Huffman said:
Should we be concerned that you are trying Chicago style without the style manual in hand? I have seen pages of Ibid. Would not that suggest rather narrow sourcing?

I'm pretty sure that I still have my MLA manual. ETA: Yep, 1977
You shouldn't be concerned. This is the first and last time I'll be using Chicago style. This is for an elective class.
Thanks again.

What style manual does your objective field use? Is the class instructor teaching the general need for a manual of style?

Isn't there a way to use a main citation but 'append' the page number without listing it in the bibliography?
I believe I've come across something like that before when I needed wanted to use some nice citations.

Related to How to do Chicago style citation and bibliography

1. How do I format in-text citations in Chicago style?

In Chicago style, in-text citations are formatted with the author's last name and the date of publication in parentheses, such as (Smith 2019). If there are multiple authors, list all of their last names in the same order as on the source, separated by commas, and use an ampersand before the last author's name. If there is no author listed, use the title of the source instead. If the source has page numbers, include them after the date with a comma. For example: (Johnson, Smith, & Brown 2018, 22).

2. How do I format a bibliography in Chicago style?

Chicago style uses a bibliography at the end of the document to list all sources cited in the paper. Each source should be listed in alphabetical order by the author's last name. If there is no author, use the title of the source instead. The basic format for a bibliography entry is: Author Last Name, First Name. Title of Source. Publication Location: Publisher, Year. For online sources, include the URL and the date accessed at the end of the entry.

3. Do I need to include a bibliography for every source cited in my paper?

Yes, in Chicago style, all sources used in the paper should be included in the bibliography. This ensures that readers can easily locate and verify the sources used in your research.

4. Are there any other formatting rules I should know for Chicago style citations and bibliography?

Yes, in addition to in-text citations and the bibliography, there are a few other formatting rules to keep in mind for Chicago style. Titles of books and journals should be italicized, while titles of articles and chapters should be in quotation marks. Use sentence-style capitalization for titles (capitalize the first word and proper nouns). Also, be sure to include a page range for sources that are part of a larger work, such as a chapter in an edited book.

5. Is there any software or online tools that can help me with Chicago style citation and bibliography?

Yes, there are several software and online tools available to help with formatting citations and creating bibliographies in Chicago style. Some popular options include Zotero, EasyBib, and BibMe. These tools allow you to input your sources and then automatically generate citations and a bibliography in the correct format. However, it is still important to double-check the formatting for accuracy and consistency.