Referencing in Report Writing: Moebius Transformations

• Thread starter jimmycricket
  • Start date
  • Tags
In summary, when writing a report on moebius transformations, it is important to properly reference any external sources used for theorems, definitions, or other concepts. This includes citing the source if the material is original, and giving credit to a source if closely following their presentation of well-known material. When in doubt, it is always best to cite a source to avoid any potential issues.
jimmycricket
I'm currently writing a report on moebius transformations. I haven't had to reference for quite some time and I'm not totally sure how to go about it. When introducing theorems, definitions, etc do I need to reference the source?
Also throughout the report I have often taken concepts from a source and reduced them into more understandable language. Do I need to mention this source material?

Physics news on Phys.org
If the theorem or definition is original to the source, you certainly need to cite the source.

If it's common knowledge (e.g. the definition of a Möbius transformation) you don't necessarily need to cite a source. However, if you closely follow a particular source's exposition of well-known material (for example, introducing theorems in the same order as a certain book or paper, or presenting a proof you found somewhere else), then you should give credit to that source.

If in doubt, cite it. It doesn't cost anything.

Related to Referencing in Report Writing: Moebius Transformations

1. What is referencing in report writing?

Referencing in report writing is the process of citing sources that have been used in the report. It involves acknowledging the ideas, concepts, and information that have been taken from other authors or sources to support the arguments and claims in the report.

2. Why is referencing important in report writing?

Referencing is important in report writing because it gives credit to the original authors and sources, thereby avoiding plagiarism. It also allows readers to locate and verify the information used in the report, making it more credible and reliable.

3. What is the most commonly used referencing style for scientific reports?

The most commonly used referencing style for scientific reports is the American Psychological Association (APA) style. It is widely used in the social sciences, education, and business fields.

4. How do I reference a Moebius transformation in my report?

To reference a Moebius transformation in your report, you can use the following format in APA style: Last name, Initials. (Year). Title of article: Subtitle. Journal Title, Volume number(Issue number), page numbers.

5. Do I need to reference every source mentioned in my report?

Yes, it is important to reference every source mentioned in your report, whether it is a direct quote, paraphrase, or summary. This is to ensure that you are giving proper credit to the original authors and avoiding plagiarism. If in doubt, it is always best to err on the side of caution and include a reference.