Reference letter related email etiquette

In summary: I would suggest sending it as soon as possible.In summary, the conversation discusses a graduate applicant who is applying to a university for fall 2016 admission. The applicant's referees have a deadline of December 01 to submit their application, but one referee is currently busy and has asked the graduate administrator to contact them regarding the reference letter deadline. The applicant is unsure of how to communicate this to the administrator and asks for feedback on the email they have drafted. The email includes the applicant's application number and a brief explanation of the referee's extenuating circumstances. However, it is suggested that the language could be more direct and the request should be sent sooner.
spaghetti3451
I've applied to a particular university for fall 2016 graduate admission. The deadline for my referees to submit the application is December 01.

One of my referees is currently extremely busy and has asked me to request the graduate administrator to contact him regarding the reference letter deadline.

I'm trying to think of some way to communicate this to the graduate administrator. Is the following e-mail alright?Dear ...,

I am a Physics graduate applicant to the University of ... for fall 2016 entry. My Application Number is ...

One of my referees, Professor ... from the University of ..., is currently under extenuating circumstances and will not be able to complete my reference letter in time. He's asked me to contact you regarding this urgent matter.

I would be grateful if you could contact him at his e-mail address ...@... , and also to kindly confirm if you have received this e-mail.

Yours sincerely,

Does the e-mail look proper and ready to be sent?

Physics news on Phys.org
failexam said:
I've applied to a particular university for fall 2016 graduate admission. The deadline for my referees to submit the application is December 01.

One of my referees is currently extremely busy and has asked me to request the graduate administrator to contact him regarding the reference letter deadline.

I'm trying to think of some way to communicate this to the graduate administrator. Is the following e-mail alright?Dear ...,

I am a Physics graduate applicant to the University of ... for fall 2016 entry. My Application Number is ...

One of my referees, Professor ... from the University of ..., is currently under extenuating circumstances and will not be able to complete my reference letter in time. He's asked me to contact you regarding this urgent matter.

I would be grateful if you could contact him at his e-mail address ...@... , and also to kindly confirm if you have received this e-mail.

Yours sincerely,

Does the e-mail look proper and ready to be sent?

He asked you to have them contact him regarding the deadline, but in your email it looks like you're putting words in his mouth about "extenuating circumstances and not being able to complete the letter on time." Maybe this is what you meant to say he asked for, but you need to be sure.

Other than that there is probably a lot of needless flowery language, and you're over thinking this way too much.

"extenuating circumstances"? My dictionary doen't have a meaning of "extenuating" that would fit here.
Deadline extensions are not unusual, and the reasons are always the same, so I think you can be a bit more direct at that part. Just describe briefly what your supervisor gave you as reason.

Sending the request one day before the deadline is a bit late.

Related to Reference letter related email etiquette

1. How should I address the recipient in a reference letter request email?

In a professional setting, it is best to use the recipient's full name and appropriate title, such as "Dear Dr. Smith" or "Dear Professor Jones". If you are unsure of the recipient's title, it is acceptable to use their first and last name, such as "Dear Jane Smith".

2. Is it appropriate to send a reference letter request email to multiple recipients?

It is generally not recommended to send a reference letter request email to multiple recipients, as it may come across as impersonal and insincere. It is better to individually reach out to each potential reference and customize your request to fit their relationship with you.

3. How should I format a reference letter request email?

A reference letter request email should be written in a professional and polite tone. It should include a brief introduction of yourself and your relationship with the recipient, a clear and specific request for a reference letter, and a thank you message for their consideration. It is also important to proofread your email for any spelling or grammar errors.

4. How long should I give the recipient to write a reference letter?

It is important to give the recipient enough time to write a thoughtful and detailed reference letter. Generally, it is recommended to give at least 2-3 weeks notice, but this may vary depending on the recipient's schedule and availability. It is always best to check in with the recipient and ask if they need more time or if there is a specific deadline for the reference letter.

5. Is it appropriate to follow up on a reference letter request email?

It is acceptable to follow up on a reference letter request email if you have not received a response within a reasonable amount of time. However, it is important to be polite and understanding in your follow-up email and to respect the recipient's decision if they are unable to provide a reference letter for you. It is also recommended to provide a deadline or timeline for when you need the reference letter.