Recommendations: a Book/Portfolio of data visualisations

• Thread starter Wizard
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Data
In summary, a book or portfolio on different types of data visualisations would be great. Examples of data types include single 'random' variables, samples of 'random' vectors of length 2, 1-parameter curves in 2-dimensional space, 2-parameter curves in 3-dimensional space, and 2-parameter curves in 4-dimensional space.
Wizard
Hello all, I was just thinking how much I would love a book, or even better a portfolio, on different types of data visualisations. I'm sure there are a few such books out there, but I'm looking for something for technically minded people, which organises its examples by the type of data being plotted. Examples of data types:
  • Samples taken of a single 'random' variable (e.g. collection of height samples of a population, typical plot would be a frequency plot)
  • Samples taken of 'random' vectors of length 2 (e.g. collection of height/weight, exemplar plot might be a scatter plot, with translucent plot markers so you can see the density of overlapping marks)
  • 1-parameter curve in 2-dimensional space (e.g. line plot)
  • 2-parameter curve in 3-dimensional space (e.g. 3D-rendered surface plot, but not good for a probability distribution with one continuous parameter)
  • 2-parameter curve in 4-dimensional space (e.g. 3D-rendered, colour-graded surface plot)
  • Discrete and continuous data types
  • et cetera
Any recommendations on a nice book/portfolio with demonstrations and advice on data visualisation?

Physics news on Phys.org
I did a Google Images search on data visualization examples (the 3rd term was suggested by Google), and got some good hits. Maybe look through the hit list to see if you like some of the examples, and whether they refer to the source as a book...

https://www.google.com/search?tbm=isch&sxsrf=ALeKk02m0ZzBolnF7ze_CZn6TA6gbo0f6A:1610547939511&source=hp&biw=1269&bih=694&ei=4wL_X9b7G6Su0PEP4KewgAQ&q=data+visualization+examples&oq=data+visu&gs_lcp=CgNpbWcQAxgBMgUIABCxAzIICAAQsQMQgwEyAggAMgIIADICCAAyAggAMgIIADICCAAyAggAMgIIADoECCMQJ1D0CFiGFGDiLWgAcAB4AIABaIgB2gWSAQM3LjKYAQCgAQGqAQtnd3Mtd2l6LWltZw&sclient=img

1610548056452.png

I was watching Steve Kornacki on MSNBC during the recent Georgia Senate runoffs. His presentation of data was just spectacular. At 9 in the evening, just by looking at his bubble maps and time evolved data you could confidently predict the final outcome. It bought me one peaceful night's sleep!
I'm interested in the confluence of virtual reality with data analysis. I would love to be able to "climb into" a database and manipulate it with "magic" powers from my fingers. For a while EXCEL seemed close to magic (I do own a slide rule) but now I want more.

Likes berkeman
General stuff on data visualization:
TED talks
https://www.gapminder.org/tools/#$c.../hans_rosling_the_best_stats_you_ve_ever_seen

david_mccandless_the_beauty_of_data_visualization

hans_rosling_let_my_dataset_change_your_mindset

I thought the Rosling tools were accessible at gapminder.com, but coulnd't dig them out separately

And only yesterday I threw out old plotting manuals from CERN, SLAC, Tektronix etc. We sure have come a long way in 45 years !

[edit] bugger, I just wanted the links (url), not the pictures (media) but it has a mind of its own ! And stubbornly changes the url tag to media :headbang: ! Since I'm the boss, I trial-and-errored until I got what I wanted :smile:

Last edited:
Likes berkeman
Edward R. Tufte has several books that you might like. They are not exactly what you say you're looking for but they are interesting. Kind of pricey new, but used copies seem to be very reasonable.

Related to Recommendations: a Book/Portfolio of data visualisations

What is the purpose of a book/portfolio of data visualisations?

A book/portfolio of data visualisations is a collection of visual representations of data that are used to communicate information, patterns, and insights. It is used to present data in a more engaging and understandable way for a wider audience, such as stakeholders, decision-makers, and the general public.

What makes a good data visualisation?

A good data visualisation is one that effectively communicates the intended message or story behind the data. It should be visually appealing, easy to understand, and accurate. It should also be designed with the target audience in mind and use appropriate visual elements and techniques to enhance the data's meaning.

What are some common types of data visualisations?

Some common types of data visualisations include charts and graphs (such as bar charts, line graphs, and pie charts), maps, diagrams, and infographics. Each type has its own strengths and is suitable for different types of data and messages.

How can data visualisations be used in research and analysis?

Data visualisations can be used in research and analysis to identify patterns, trends, and relationships in the data that may not be easily apparent in raw data. They can also help researchers and analysts to communicate their findings and insights more effectively to others.

What are some tips for creating effective data visualisations?

Some tips for creating effective data visualisations include understanding the data and its context, choosing the appropriate type of visualisation, keeping the design simple and uncluttered, using color and visual cues strategically, and testing the visualisation with a sample audience to ensure it effectively conveys the intended message.