Recommendation on book about light-matter interaction

In summary, the conversation discussed the search for a book on light matter interaction and photoluminescent materials. The person was looking for a comprehensive explanation of the mechanisms of scattering, absorption, and emission in materials, as well as the factors that influence these properties. They also wanted to understand the relationship between microscopic and macroscopic scattering and absorption cross-sections. While one suggestion was made, it was deemed not relevant to the topics of interest. The person then requested a book that specifically addresses the treatment of light interaction with bulk material and includes a section on fluorescence. They also mentioned being unable to edit their initial post.
discworld
Hello.

I'm looking for a good book that explains light matter interaction comprehensively and specifically addresses photoluminescent materials (such as phosphor powders).

I wanted this reference to get detailed answers to, e.g.:
  • what is the mechanism of scattering, absorption and emission in materials?
  • what factors influence these properties?
  • how do the microscopic scattering and absorption cross-sections relate to their macroscopic counterparts?
Thank you for any suggestion you may have!

Physics news on Phys.org
Unfortunately, I don't think your suggestion deals with the topics the OP is interested in. The book by Weiner and Ho deals essentially with QED and interactions of light with atoms, not materials.

Greg Bernhardt said:

I will check it out, thanks.

DrClaude said:
Unfortunately, I don't think your suggestion deals with the topics the OP is interested in. The book by Weiner and Ho deals essentially with QED and interactions of light with atoms, not materials.

Although I would ideally want the book to address the treatment of the interaction of light with the bulk material (or at least a connection to it), any good book that has a strong section dealing with the mechanisms of fluorescence is also appreciated.

I'll edit my question to reflect this; thanks for pointing it out.

EDIT: I don't seem to be able to edit thread-starting posts, unfortunately.

Last edited by a moderator:

Related to Recommendation on book about light-matter interaction

What is light-matter interaction?

Light-matter interaction is the study of the interaction between electromagnetic radiation (light) and matter. This includes the absorption, emission, and scattering of light by matter, and how matter can be manipulated by light.

Why is understanding light-matter interaction important?

Understanding light-matter interaction is crucial for many fields such as optics, materials science, and quantum mechanics. It helps us understand how light can be used to manipulate and control matter, leading to advancements in technology and scientific research.

Can you recommend a book about light-matter interaction?

Sure, I would recommend "Light-Matter Interaction: Physics and Engineering at the Nanoscale" by John Weiner and Frederico Nunes. It provides a comprehensive overview of light-matter interaction, covering both fundamental concepts and cutting-edge research.

What prerequisites are required to understand light-matter interaction?

A basic understanding of optics, electromagnetism, and quantum mechanics is helpful in understanding light-matter interaction. Some background in mathematics, particularly calculus and differential equations, is also beneficial.

How does light-matter interaction impact everyday life?

Light-matter interaction has numerous practical applications, from the technology we use daily (such as smartphones and solar panels) to advancements in medical imaging and environmental monitoring. It also plays a crucial role in fundamental scientific research, helping us understand the building blocks of our world.