What are the potential interactions between waves and matter?

In summary, the conversation covers the topic of the possible interactions between waves and matter. It mentions specific examples such as ultrasound igniting flammable liquids and lasers ionizing materials, and poses questions about the possible transformations that can occur in matter and the various types of waves and their effects on these transformations. While there may not be a comprehensive book on this subject, Wikipedia can serve as a starting point for further research. The speaker is also looking for a chart or visual representation of these interactions to assist in their understanding.
physior
hello!

is there a book or something, to have an overview of the possible interactions between waves and matter?

for example ultrasound can ignite flammable liquids

for example lasers can ionize materials

what are the possible material transformations that can take place? ionization, excitation of electrons, catalysis of reactions, formation of chemical bonds, electrolysis or generally lysis/breaking of bonds, etc

what are the various waves? sound, light, magnetic, etc

what are the various effects of each of these waves to produce each of the matter transformations?

etc

thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
There probably is not a single book that covers all the subjects you have touched on, at least not to any great extent.

You might try Wikipedia for starters.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Main_Page

you want my opinion?
it can be few paragraphs
I don't need neither proofs, neither maths, neither all the data
I just need a chart with clouds connected
eg. ultrasound can ionize? infrared can break bonds?
then I suppose I can dig more deeply if I find something useful

Related to What are the potential interactions between waves and matter?

1. What is the relationship between waves and matter?

Waves and matter are closely interconnected. Matter can both create and be affected by waves, as waves are disturbances or vibrations that travel through space and matter. Without matter, waves cannot exist, and without waves, matter would remain in a static state.

2. What are some examples of waves interacting with matter?

Some common examples of waves interacting with matter include sound waves traveling through air, light waves being absorbed or reflected by objects, and water waves causing movement in the ocean or other bodies of water.

3. How do different types of matter interact with waves?

The way matter interacts with waves depends on its physical properties, such as density, elasticity, and temperature. For example, denser materials like metals tend to absorb more sound waves, while less dense materials like air allow sound waves to pass through more easily.

4. Can matter change the properties of waves?

Yes, matter can alter the properties of waves in several ways. For example, matter can change the speed or direction of waves, absorb or reflect them, or even cause different types of waves to form. This is why different materials can have varying effects on waves, such as how a prism can split white light into its component colors.

5. How do waves and matter interactions impact our daily lives?

Waves and matter interactions play a crucial role in our daily lives, from the way we see and hear things to how we communicate and travel. For instance, our eyes and ears rely on the interaction of light and sound waves with matter to process visual and auditory information. Additionally, technologies such as radios, microwaves, and X-rays all utilize waves interacting with matter to function.