Recommendation of a good systematic particle physics book

In summary, the conversation discusses the search for papers and articles on the characterization of palladium nanoparticles through light scattering methods. The person is looking for recommendations for systematic particle physics books and lectures that are well-connected to experiments and cosmology/astroparticle physics. They mention finding some papers through Google, but are specifically looking for clear explanations on the characterization process through light scattering. They plan to visit their university on Monday to access science magazines with subscriptions.

For those who have used this book

• Strongly Recommend

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Lightly Recommend

• Lightly don't Recommend

• Total voters

Code:
Table of Contents
Preface to Second Edition.
Notes.

1. Basic Concepts.

1.1 History.

1.2 Relativity and Antiparticles.

1.3 Space-Time Symmetries and Conservation Laws.

1.4 Interactions and Feynman Diagrams.

1.5 Particle Exchange: Forces and Potentials.

1.6 Observable Quantities: Cross-sections and Decay Rates.

1.7 Units: Length, Mass and Energy.

Problems.

2. Nuclear Phenomenology.

2.1 Mass Spectroscopy .

2.2 Nuclear Shapes and Sizes.

2.3 Semi-Empirical Mass Formula: the Liquid Drop Model.

2.4 Nuclear Instability.

2.5 Radioactive Decay.

2.6 βDecay Phenomenology.

2.7 Fission.

2.8 γDecays.

2.9 Nuclear Reactions.

Problems.

3. Particle Phenomenology.

3.1 Leptons.

3.2 Quarks.

3.3 Hadrons.

Problems.

4. Experimental Methods.

4.1 Overview.

4.2 Accelerators and Beams.

4.3 Particle Interactions with Matter.

4.4 Particle Detectors.

4.5 Multi-Component Detector Systems.

Problems.

5. Quark Dynamics: The Strong Interaction .

5.1 Colour.

5.2 Quantum Chromodynamics (QCD).

5.3 Heavy Quark Bound States.

5.4 The Strong Coupling Constant and Asymptotic Freedom.

5.5 Quark-Gluon Plasma.

5.6 Jets and Gluons.

5.7 Colour Counting.

5.8 Deep Inelastic Scattering and Nucleon Structure.

Problems.

6. Weak Interactions And Electroweak Unification.

6.1 Charged and Neutral Currents.

6.2 Symmetries of the Weak Interaction.

6.3 Spin Structure of the Weak Interactions.

6.4 W± and Z0 Bosons.

6.5 Weak Interactions of Hadrons: Charged Currents.

6.6 Meson Decays and CP Violation.

6.7 Neutral Currents and the Unified Theory.

Problems.

7. Models And Theories Of Nuclear Physics .

7.1 The Nucleon-Nucleon Potential.

7.2 Fermi Gas Model.

7.3 Shell Model.

7.4 Non-Spherical Nuclei.

7.5 Summary of Nuclear Structure Models.

7.6 α-Decay.

7.7 β-Decay.

7.8 γ-Emission and Internal Conversion.

Problems.

8. Applications Of Nuclear Physics.

8.1 Fission.

8.2 Fusion.

8.3 Nuclear Weapons.

8.4 Biomedical applications.

Problems.

9. Outstanding Questions and Future Prospects.

9.1 Overview.

9.2 Hadrons and Nuclei .

9.3 The Origin of Mass: the Higgs Boson .

9.4 The Nature of the Neutrino.

9.5 Beyond the Standard Model: Unification Schemes.

9.6 Particle Astrophysics.

9.7 Nuclear Medicine.

9.8 Power Production and Nuclear Waste.

Appendix A: Some Results In Quantum Mechanics.

A.1 Barrier Penetration.

A.2 Density of States.

A.3 Perturbation Theory and the Second Golden Rule.

A.4 Isospin Formalism.

A.4.1 Isospin operators and quark states.

A.4.2 Hadron states.

Appendix B: Relativistic Kinematics.

B.1 Lorentz Transformations and Four-Vectors.

B.2 Frames of Reference.

B.3 Invariants.

Problems B.

Appendix C: Rutherford Scattering.

C.1 Classical Physics.

C.2 Quantum Mechanics.

Problems C.

Appendix D: Gauge Theories.

D.1 Gauge Invariance and the Standard Model.

D.1.1 Electromagnetism and the gauge principle.

D.1.2 The standard model.

D.2 Particle Masses and the Higgs Field.

Appendix E: Data.

E.1 Physical Constants and Conversion Factors.

E.2 Tables of Particle Properties.

D.2.1 Gauge bosons.

D.2.2 Leptons.

D.2.3 Quarks.

D.2.4 Baryons.

D.2.5 Mesons.

E.3 Tables of Nuclear Properties.

D.3.1 Properties of naturally occurring isotopes.

D.3.2 The periodic table.

Appendix F: Solutions To Problems.

References.

Bibliography.

Index.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

Table of Contents: http://press.princeton.edu/chapters/c9633.pdf

1 Particle Physics: A Brief Overview
2 Dirac Equation and Quantum Electrodynamics
3 Gauge Principle
4 Hadrons
5 Detectors and Measurements
6 Neutrino Oscillations and CKM Measurements
7 e+e- Collider Physics
8 Hadron Colliders
9 Higgs Physics

http://press.princeton.edu/titles/9633.html

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi,

Can anybody, please, recommend a good systematic particle physics book?
I graduated physics and now I'm doing a PhD in astroparticle physics, but I am not satisfied with the particle physics knowledge "gathered" so far. I didn't like the lectures from my professor at university -they were always confusing to me :/ so, now, I would like to give a second chance to particles :)
can you recommend something good, systematic, with the foundations in experiments and good connection with cosmology/astroparticle physics...I am also looking for links of other lectures, articles...anything qualitative is good and will be useful!

Hi there. I didn't know where to post this. If there is a proper section, please move it.

The thing is that I am looking for papers on which they characterize palladium nanoparticles through light scattering methods. I've found palladium nanoparticles characterized by TEM, IR, XPS, etc. but I was looking in particular for anyone who has characterized it by light scattering. I looked through google, and found this: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23360464

And I found a few more. What I particularly need is something where they explains clearly as possible the characterization through light scattering. I don't have too much access to science magazines here in my house, but I could access to some at my university, which have some subscriptions. I look for it on monday, but until then, if anyone can help me with this I will really appreciate it.

Thanks.

I highly recommend "Nuclear and Particle Physics" by Brian Martin as a comprehensive and well-written book on the subject. This book covers a wide range of topics in particle physics, from the basic concepts to experimental methods and theoretical models. It also includes discussions on current research and future prospects in the field.

The author presents the material in a clear and concise manner, making it accessible to both students and researchers. The book also includes a variety of problems and solutions, which can help readers deepen their understanding of the concepts.

One of the strengths of this book is its inclusion of both nuclear and particle physics, providing a holistic view of the field. The author also incorporates recent developments and discoveries, making it a relevant and up-to-date resource.

Overall, "Nuclear and Particle Physics" is a highly recommended book for anyone interested in understanding the fundamental building blocks of the universe. Its comprehensive coverage and clear explanations make it a valuable addition to any scientist's bookshelf.

Related to Recommendation of a good systematic particle physics book

Question 1: What is the best book for learning about systematic particle physics?

The best book for learning about systematic particle physics is subjective and may vary depending on individual learning styles and goals. However, some popular choices among scientists include "Introduction to Elementary Particles" by David J. Griffiths, "Particle Physics: A Comprehensive Introduction" by Brian R. Martin and Graham Shaw, and "The Standard Model in a Nutshell" by Dave Goldberg.

Question 2: What topics should a good systematic particle physics book cover?

A good systematic particle physics book should cover topics such as the Standard Model of particle physics, quantum mechanics, special relativity, particle interactions, and experimental techniques used in particle physics research.

Question 3: Are there any online resources for learning about systematic particle physics?

Yes, there are many online resources available for learning about systematic particle physics. Some popular options include online courses on platforms such as Coursera and edX, as well as websites like CERN's Open Science portal and the Particle Adventure from the Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory.

Question 4: How can I determine the credibility of a systematic particle physics book?

To determine the credibility of a systematic particle physics book, you can look at the author's credentials and experience in the field, the publisher's reputation, and any reviews or endorsements from other scientists. It is also helpful to check the book's references and sources to ensure that it is based on reliable and up-to-date information.

Question 5: Is it necessary to have a strong background in physics to understand a systematic particle physics book?

While having a strong background in physics can certainly be helpful in understanding a systematic particle physics book, it is not always necessary. Some books may provide more in-depth explanations and assume a certain level of prior knowledge, while others may be more accessible to a wider audience. It is important to choose a book that aligns with your current level of understanding and learning goals.