Recommendation needed for integral calculus books

In summary: Both books should give you a great foundation.In summary, the conversation discussed the difficulties of applying calculus in physics due to a lack of emphasis on math in high school physics courses. The individual is seeking a resource to supplement their knowledge and help them model situations using calculus. Several books were recommended, including "Calculus Made Easy" by Silvanus P Thomson, "Introduction to Mechanics" by Kleppner and Kolenkow, "Differential Equations" by Shepley L Ross, and "Calculus Volume 1" by Tom M Apostol. The older edition of "Thomas' Calculus" was also suggested as a good resource, while "University Physics" by Young and Freedman received mixed reviews. The conversation
Asad Raza
I have learned an adequate amount of calculus including implicit, parametric differentiation as well as Upton second order differential equations in high school math course. It was really abstract and we were taught only how to solve mathematical problems. Now, I need to model those problems in physics using integral calculus, which is a bit confusing since our high school physics wasnt math centered and non math students were taking it too, so they had to keep it that way. I just need a good resource that can supplement my existing knowledge and helps me model situations using calculus and fill in the holes.

Kindly recommend some good books۔

Physics news on Phys.org
Asad Raza said:
I have learned an adequate amount of calculus including implicit, parametric differentiation as well as Upton second order differential equations in high school math course. It was really abstract and we were taught only how to solve mathematical problems. Now, I need to model those problems in physics using integral calculus, which is a bit confusing since our high school physics wasnt math centered and non math students were taking it too, so they had to keep it that way. I just need a good resource that can supplement my existing knowledge and helps me model situations using calculus and fill in the holes.

You need physics book or math book ? The title says integral calculus book but the tag is Classical mechanics.

Buffu said:
You need physics book or math book ? The title says integral calculus book but the tag is Classical mechanics.
Any book related to the situation described above

Get a college level, calculus based general intro physics book. This seems like a reasonable place to start. I suggest Resnick and Halliday.

Asad Raza said:
Any book related to the situation described above

Calculus made easy - Silvanus P Thomson
Introduction to mechanics - Kleppner and Kolenkow
Differential Equations - Shepley L Ross
Calculus Volume 1 - Tom M Apostol

You won't ever be in trouble with calculus again after reading these books.

Likes Asad Raza
Buffu said:
Calculus made easy - Silvanus P Thomson
Introduction to mechanics - Kleppner and Kolenkow
Differential Equations - Shepley L Ross
Calculus Volume 1 - Tom M Apostol

You won't ever be in trouble with calculus again after reading these books.
How is Thomas' Calculus ?

Dr.D said:
Get a college level, calculus based general intro physics book. This seems like a reasonable place to start. I suggest Resnick and Halliday.
And How is Universigty Physics by Young and Freedman?

I really do not know about Young and Freedman; I am not familiar with this text.

Asad Raza said:
How is Thomas' Calculus ?
I think it is also a good book but I have never read it.

Asad Raza said:
And How is University Physics by Young and Freedman?
I've looked at a few sections briefly, and I thought it was good. In grad school, my advisor was teaching intro physics using this book, and he thought it was good book.

the problem with thomas's calculus is that it is not just one book, it went through many editions, each getting progressively worse than the earlier ones, until now it is a rather bad book, with many authors, thomas himself being dead. The original ones by him are quite good, and quite cheap, e.g. the one from 1953:

https://www.abebooks.com/servlet/BookDetailsPL?bi=19737588122&searchurl=yrh=1965&yrl=150&bi=0&ds=20&bx=off&sortby=17&tn=calculus&kn=george+b+thomas&an=george+thomas&recentlyadded=all

Asad Raza said:

The suggestion by Mathwonk is excellent. The older edition of Thomas, preferably the third edition, offers a clear and concise coverage of Calculus. It offers great intuition and ties the subject together.

If you have money to spare. I would recommend a second book, Moise: Calculus. It is a balance of applied and theory.

Related to Recommendation needed for integral calculus books

1. What are some popular books for learning integral calculus?

Some popular books for learning integral calculus include "Calculus: Early Transcendentals" by James Stewart, "Calculus" by Michael Spivak, and "Calculus" by Ron Larson.

2. Are there any books that cater to beginners in integral calculus?

Yes, there are many books that cater to beginners in integral calculus. Some recommended titles are "A First Course in Calculus" by Serge Lang, "Calculus Made Easy" by Silvanus P. Thompson, and "Calculus: An Intuitive and Physical Approach" by Morris Kline.

3. Are there any books that focus on real-world applications of integral calculus?

Yes, there are many books that focus on real-world applications of integral calculus. Some examples are "Applications of Calculus" by J. Y. Kang, "Calculus for Biology and Medicine" by Claudia Neuhauser, and "Calculus for Scientists and Engineers" by William L. Briggs and Lyle Cochran.

4. Can you recommend any free online resources for learning integral calculus?

Yes, there are many free online resources for learning integral calculus. Some popular ones include Khan Academy, Coursera, and MIT OpenCourseWare.

5. Are there any interactive books or study guides available for integral calculus?

Yes, there are interactive books and study guides available for integral calculus. Some options are "Calculus Interactive Study Guide" by Cleon Teunissen, "Calculus Workbook for Dummies" by Mark Zegarelli, and "Integral Calculus Problem Solver" by Research and Education Association.