Reclaim Helium from Weather Balloon

In summary, the Helium needs to be compressed to 2400 psi in order to put it back into the cylinder. This will cost tens of thousands of dollars and may not be feasible.
dingpud
Is there a way to reclaim the Helium that I put into a weather balloon? Meaning, I empty out a cylinder of Helium into a weather balloon, and for some reason I want to get it back into the tank (bad weather, missed launch time, MacGyver is on, etc.) and can't launch my balloon. Is there a way to do this?

I've been looking into vacuum systems and am not sure if that is the best way to do it or not...

Any thoughts are much appreciated.
Thanks,
pud

Engineering news on Phys.org
The only way I can see is to put the balloon onto the suction side of a suitable compressor, but I doubt that the economics would add up.

A single, large cylinder of helium holds about 240 standard cubic feet of gas. Value might be $50 to $100, give or take. To put it back into the cylinder, it needs to be compressed to about 2400 psi, so right there you need a 4 or 5 stage reciprocating machine that will cost tens of thousands of dollars if you can find one. Call RIX, they would have a solution if anyone does. But I predict you'll hurl when you get the cost back.

Note that if you put it back into the cylinder, you won't get credit for it. Your helium supplier will likely be upset with you for contaminating his cylinder and may cut you off...

Realistically, if I had to do this myself, I'd first determine how much money I would save if I recovered the gas. If it's less than about $2000, I wouldn't bother. Next, I'd figure out how much gas I needed to store at anyone time. That would determine the size of the low pressure tank needed. A 200 gallon tank capable of holding a few hundred cubic feet of gas at low pressure costs about $1000 to $2000, so that would be the main expense. Optimizing this size would cut the costs.

Next, you'd need to evacuate the tank, so make sure it can handle full vacuum as well. You'd need to pull vacuum on it to remove all the air inside. If you know someone with a vacuum pump they could do it for you, then break vacuum only with helium. If you don't have access to a vacuum pump you'll need to buy one.

To get helium into the tank, I'd get a small, 2 stage air compressor and limit the discharge pressure on each stage to prevent it overheating. Helium has a ratio of specific heats of 1.67 where air is only 1.4, so it will get much hotter for any given pressure ratio. Probably want to keep the pressure ratio down to 3 to 1, give or take, so you might be able to get 100 to 120 psi out.

Note that none of this will purify the helium, and air will definitely get in. Probably not a big concern though given the gas is only being used in a balloon.

Q_Goest and JoBrag, thank you for the responses. Q-Goest, thank you for suggesting an alternate low pressure tank. That makes sense. Will look into that some more. Yeah, the cost alternative is going to be something that can't be ignored...we'll see.
Thanks again...

Related to Reclaim Helium from Weather Balloon

1. What is the process for reclaiming helium from weather balloons?

The process for reclaiming helium from weather balloons typically involves puncturing the balloon after it has landed, allowing the helium to escape into a collection device. The helium is then purified and compressed for reuse.

2. How much helium can be reclaimed from a single weather balloon?

The amount of helium that can be reclaimed from a weather balloon varies depending on the size and type of balloon. On average, about 100-150 cubic feet of helium can be recovered from a single balloon.

3. Is it cost-effective to reclaim helium from weather balloons?

Yes, reclaiming helium from weather balloons is cost-effective in the long run. Helium is a non-renewable resource and its cost has been steadily increasing. By reusing helium from weather balloons, the cost of purchasing new helium can be significantly reduced.

4. Are there any environmental benefits to reclaiming helium from weather balloons?

Yes, there are environmental benefits to reclaiming helium from weather balloons. Helium is a limited resource and by recycling it, we can reduce the amount of helium that needs to be extracted from natural gas. This can help preserve natural gas reserves and reduce carbon emissions.

5. Can reclaimed helium be used for any other purposes?

Yes, reclaimed helium can be used for various purposes such as in medical equipment, welding, and high-tech manufacturing. By recycling helium from weather balloons, we can ensure that this valuable resource is not wasted and can be used for other important applications.