Transmitting video via radio wave from weather balloon

In summary, my friend and I had an idea to put a camera on a weather balloon and wanted to have a live video feed. However, we are not knowledgeable about electronics and do not know how to accomplish this. We discovered that using radio waves may be an efficient way to achieve our goal, but the balloon will be flying at a high altitude of 30km. We found a helpful thread discussing DIY weather balloon projects and cameras, but it did not address the use of radio transmission. We learned that using amateur (HAM) radio would be necessary for communication, and that a HAM Technician license would be required. Another option suggested was to use a GoPro camera in the payload, but this would not provide a live feed. Ultimately,
masterjoda
My friend and I had an idea to put camera on the weather balloon and we wanted to have like a live picture from camera. But because we don't know so much about electronics we don't know how to do it. Fe figured out that we can do it via radio waves, maybe there is some more efficient way. That balloon will be flying at the 30km.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Yeah but they don't really talk about that radio transmitting thing. They talk more about helium and filling the balloon that I knew already.

masterjoda said:
Yeah but they don't really talk about that radio transmitting thing. They talk more about helium and filling the balloon that I knew already.

Actually, chemisttree's post does address the radio transmitter:

chemisttree said:
Da rules.

If you are going to use radio for telemetry, you need to stay in the amateur band which requires at least a basic license. You can use GPS with cell phone without any special license but you need cell coverage over the landing zone. You probably won't be in cell range above 5000 feet. FAA requires that you have a payload of less than 6lb for unmanned balloons. Here is a graph of the temperatures your payload will experience. If you use handwarmers, remember they will stop working where the air is thin! You should be OK for the ascent since the air in the payload is expanding and forcing, or keeping at bay, the cold air outside. Descent sucks... that cold air into your package! That's when things get iffy. It seems to me that you could put your electronics into a plastic enclosure with a one way valve like they use for coffee. You'll probably need coffee as well so you can pick up that plastic bag with one-way valve at the grocery. You can calculate an estimate for your balloon's flight plan here. http://sua.faa.gov/sua/special.do?selected=2&sua=conus both on ascent and decent. If you are near any airbases, review their "MOA" (good Google term).

How will you know how much helium to add to your balloon? Add too little and it may not pop until it drifts waaaay downrange. Add too much and it comes down too early.
Hmmmm.

It looks like you need to use amateur (HAM) radio for the communication, unless you are going to just fly the balloon low enough where a cell phone can be used. Be sure to click on the "da rules" link in his post to be sure you understand the various rules and regulations that you need to comply with. Here is a wikipedia page that discusses the radio aspects as well:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amateur_Radio_High_Altitude_Ballooning

The easiest way to get your HAM radio license is at a local 1-day "HAM Cram" class like this one:

www.baears.com

You can search for HAM Cram classes in your area via Google.

Another option that wouldn't require you to get your HAM Technician's license would be to just put a GoPro camera in the payload:

http://gopro.com/hd-hero-cameras/

You wouldn't get a live feed, but as long as you can find the payload package after it parachutes back to earth, you'd have your video...

masterjoda said:
My friend and I had an idea to put camera on the weather balloon and we wanted to have like a live picture from camera. But because we don't know so much about electronics we don't know how to do it. Fe figured out that we can do it via radio waves, maybe there is some more efficient way. That balloon will be flying at the 30km.
I don't want to discourage you, but based on what you say here, I think you'll have more than enough to think about without complicating matters with a live video link. Do the recording off-line and keep it as simple as possible. What's up there that merits a (grainy?) live video feed anyway? I might be aiming too low, but if you have no prior experience you should, imo, be happy if you get a simple beacon to work. Throw in some temperature or pressure measurements when you get confident and take it from there.

Last edited:
Thanks for posts, but our project is to make live video so we can directly watch what is happening up there. Because we planed to make our balloon fly at certain altitude, and it is going to stay up there for some time so we wanted live. It is going to some kind of engine that use to "fly" to say so.

masterjoda said:
Thanks for posts, but our project is to make live video so we can directly watch what is happening up there. Because we planed to make our balloon fly at certain altitude, and it is going to stay up there for some time so we wanted live. It is going to some kind of engine that use to "fly" to say so.

So then you have your answer. To do it legally, you need to have at least one member of your project team get their HAM Technician license, and you need to use HAM radio to downlink the video (I think it's called "slow scan" video when you use HAM radio to transmit video, but I'm not involved in that very much).

Alternatively, if you have an airplane pilot on your team, you might be able to get away with FRS or GMRS radio for the transmission, if the plane can stay close enough to the transmitter to pick up the transmissions.

The only other way I can think of is to have a much more complicated payload with a gyro stabilized platform, that uses 2.4GHz ISM band transmissions and a high-gain Yagi TX antenna that stays pointed at your mobile receiving platform on the ground (a chase vehicle).

I think that in my country you don't need license but i'll check, this with pointed antenna can be little tricky, maybe this radio will be better for beginning, thanks.

Related to Transmitting video via radio wave from weather balloon

1. How does transmitting video via radio wave from a weather balloon work?

Transmitting video via radio wave from a weather balloon involves capturing video footage with a camera attached to the weather balloon and then transmitting the footage through radio waves to a receiver on the ground. The camera sends the video signal to a transmitter, which converts it into a radio signal and sends it to a receiver on the ground. The receiver then converts the radio signal back into a video signal, allowing the video to be viewed in real-time.

2. What are the benefits of transmitting video via radio wave from a weather balloon?

Transmitting video via radio wave from a weather balloon allows for the collection of real-time footage from higher altitudes, providing a unique perspective that is not possible with ground-based cameras. This can be useful for weather forecasting, monitoring land and sea conditions, and conducting scientific research.

3. What type of equipment is needed for transmitting video via radio wave from a weather balloon?

The equipment needed for transmitting video via radio wave from a weather balloon typically includes a weather balloon, a camera, a transmitter, a receiver, and a ground station. Additional equipment such as a GPS tracker, batteries, and a parachute may also be necessary for successful transmission and retrieval of the weather balloon.

4. What are the challenges of transmitting video via radio wave from a weather balloon?

One of the main challenges of transmitting video via radio wave from a weather balloon is maintaining a stable connection between the transmitter and receiver. This can be affected by factors such as distance, weather conditions, and interference from other radio signals. Another challenge is ensuring the proper placement and secure attachment of the equipment on the weather balloon to prevent any damage or loss during flight.

5. Are there any regulations or restrictions for transmitting video via radio wave from a weather balloon?

Yes, there are regulations and restrictions for transmitting video via radio wave from a weather balloon. These may vary depending on the country or region, but typically involve obtaining the necessary permits and following guidelines for safe and responsible use of the equipment. It is important to research and comply with these regulations to avoid any legal issues or safety concerns.