Reason for deleting this message ?

• Thread starter Newai
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the reason for providing an explanation when deleting a message and whether moderators can see deleted messages or previous versions of edited messages. Mentors are able to see deleted messages, but not the previous versions of edited messages unless they have already been saved. It is considered a courtesy to provide a reason for the deletion, but not a requirement.
Newai
Reason for deleting this message ?

When we delete a reply, we are given an option to provide that bit of information. Is there any reason why we'd explain the reason when the message is going to be deleted? Or can mods maybe see deleted posts?

Physics news on Phys.org

Correct.

Newai said:
When we delete a reply, we are given an option to provide that bit of information. Is there any reason why we'd explain the reason when the message is going to be deleted? Or can mods maybe see deleted posts?
Yes, exactly. The reason is effectively a note to the mods, that only they (and not other members) can read. Providing it could be considered a courtesy, not a requirement.

Last edited:

Okay then. Thanks.

Hey...if I delete a message, it's because I wrote something really, really stupid :biggrin:, and I don't want want anyone to read it. Can moderators read the deleted messages (or just see that there was a message there and the reason for deletion)? If yes, can I prevent them from doing so by first editing out the text (replacing it with the minimum 4 characters), save the changes, and then delete the message? Or is every edit saved?

Mentors can see deleted messages, but we can't read previous versions of an edited message.

Redbelly98 said:
Mentors can see deleted messages, but we can't read previous versions of an edited message.
Unless we've already saved them.

Thanks for clearing that up. Now I know what to do the next time I realize that I have completely misunderstood the question I just answered, or just said something really, really dumb. :biggrin:

Fredrik said:
Thanks for clearing that up. Now I know what to do the next time I realize that I have completely misunderstood the question I just answered, or just said something really, really dumb. :biggrin:

You think you're faster than Evo? :biggrin:

Evo said:
Unless we've already saved them.

Related to Reason for deleting this message ?

1. Why do we need a reason for deleting a message?

The reason for requiring a reason for deleting a message is to provide context and transparency. It allows for better communication and understanding between individuals and can help prevent confusion or misunderstandings.

2. Is there a specific format or criteria for giving a reason for deleting a message?

There is no set format or criteria for giving a reason for deleting a message. However, it is important to be clear and concise in your explanation and to provide enough information for the recipient to understand the reason for deletion.

3. Can the reason for deleting a message be changed or edited?

Yes, the reason for deleting a message can be changed or edited. This can be done by the person who initially deleted the message or by the recipient of the message. It is important to communicate any changes made to the reason for deletion to avoid confusion.

4. What are some common reasons for deleting a message?

Some common reasons for deleting a message include sending the message to the wrong person, containing confidential or sensitive information, or containing errors or mistakes that need to be corrected.

5. Is it necessary to always give a reason for deleting a message?

It is not always necessary to give a reason for deleting a message. However, it is considered good communication etiquette to provide a reason whenever possible. This helps maintain clear and open communication and can prevent any potential misunderstandings.