Can't delete my post in the General Math forum

• Thread starter DaveE
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the lack of an option to delete posts in the General Math forum and whether this forum is the appropriate place for bug reports. The conversation also touches on the purpose of unit circles and the reason for their definition. The participant also mentions the presence of a delete option in some forums and not others, suggesting that this is intentional.
DaveE
Science Advisor
Gold Member
FYI, there is no option to delete my post in the General Math Forum. I don't really care; it can stay or go. But I thought you guys might care.

Physics news on Phys.org
BTW, is this where bug reports go? It seems kind of public for a subject that no one would care about.

DaveE said:
FYI, there is no option to delete my post in the General Math Forum. I don't really care; it can stay or go. But I thought you guys might care.
If you want to delete a post/a whole thread (that you started), please use the "report" button, and request a thread deletion.
DaveE said:
BTW, is this where bug reports go? It seems kind of public for a subject that no one would care about.
Yes, this forum (Feedback and Announcements) is the place where bug reports should be posted.

Likes berkeman
DaveE said:
This post?
DaveE said:
I think you are misunderstanding what people are saying when they talk about unit circles. This is a definition, there is no inherent reason for it. It's just a different way of saying r=1 (because it's so common, it has a name).

I think this is the same as asking why does a circle with radius =13 have radius =13? They've just used different words for r=1.

berkeman said:
This post?
yes, that was the one. This is more like a bug report than a request to delete. As I said, I really don't care either way about the post.
I've since noticed that some forums have a delete option, others don't. Perhaps that's intentional.

DaveE said:
I've since noticed that some forums have a delete option, others don't (like this one). Perhaps that's intentional.

Yes, it is intentional. Also the edit function is often limited to a grace period. Sadly, people tend to abuse these tools by removing things after they sparked discussion.

Likes Wrichik Basu and DaveE

1. Why can't I delete my post in the General Math forum?

There could be a few reasons for this. It's possible that the forum does not allow users to delete their own posts. It's also possible that there is a technical issue preventing you from deleting the post. Another possibility is that the post has already been deleted by a moderator or administrator.

2. How do I delete my post in the General Math forum?

If the forum allows users to delete their own posts, there should be a "delete" or "remove" option next to your post. Click on this option and follow any prompts to confirm the deletion. If you do not see this option, you may need to contact a moderator or administrator for assistance.

3. Can someone else delete my post in the General Math forum?

If the forum allows users to delete their own posts, then only you or a moderator/administrator can delete your post. However, if the forum does not allow users to delete their own posts, then a moderator/administrator may delete your post if it violates the forum's rules or guidelines.

4. Will deleting my post in the General Math forum remove all comments/replies?

Yes, if you are able to successfully delete your post, all comments/replies will also be removed. However, if the forum does not allow users to delete their own posts, then only a moderator/administrator can delete the post and its comments/replies.

5. Can I edit my post instead of deleting it in the General Math forum?

It depends on the forum's settings. Some forums allow users to edit their posts, while others do not. If the forum does not allow editing, you may need to contact a moderator/administrator to make any necessary changes to your post.