Reapplying to Engineering: Physics II, Calc II Or ODE?

In summary, the speaker is reapplying to engineering and needs to choose two courses out of Physics II, Calculus III, and ODE to boost their average. They are concerned about the difficulty of these courses and have heard mixed opinions on the difficulty of ODE. They have taken time off school and had some challenges with their grades, but now feel more confident and have decided to take ODE and Calc III. They mention their interest in chemical engineering and someone suggests taking Calc III and Physics II as well. They are concerned about making mistakes in ODE but are determined to succeed in their courses.
Derp215
Hello, I just came across this forum and thought of asking for advice! I am reapplying to Engineering and I am taking summer school (Full term) and need to take 2 more classes to boost my avg.

Right now, I am enrolled in Physics II, Calculus III, and ODE and I have to choose two out of the three.
I am reapplying to engineering and will need an A- in both classes.

I haven't taken physics for 3 years, and I'm not that great with integration at the moment. The ODE course I am taking also includes Numerical Methods.

I am curious to hear what experience people had with these classes. I've heard that ODE is "easy" however, saying something is easy is really subjective, and it gives me the impression someone is stroking their own ego.

I've taken time off school to work and my skills have weakened. This year I took Calculus II (B) Linear Algebra (C+) and Probability and Stats for Engs (C). The difficulty I had this year was with regaining my momentum and taking care of personal issues. I got screwed over on my finals so my marks took a huge hit. I should've received at the very least B+'s across the board. An unfortunate outcome, however, life is complicated.

This term my prof's seem to be equal in terms of teaching, and difficulty. Currently, I am keeping up with my classes and putting time into solve any problem. I hope this will bring me to some sort of conclusion.

I felt pretty comfortable with Linear Algebra working through proofs. I felt Linear Algebra is helping me to conceptualize physics problems, so that is a comforting thought. Last September I found Calculus to be a pain, but I have relearnt integration, so now I feel somewhat comfortable.

My current decision is: ODE and Calc III. I've regained my momentum and finally am up to speed with my academics. My ODE prof told me to keep ODE at the very least.

Thanks everyone for taking the time to read through this.

Experiences and thoughts are more than welcome.

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
What type of engineering are you interested in? Structural, Environmental, electrical, chemical, mechanical, aeronautical, other??

Likes Derp215
Derp215 said:
I've heard that ODE is "easy"

The first weeks of the class I'm taking involved some things that were easy and some things that were not easy. For example, one would need to be able to understand the concept of integrating factor by the product rule, and finding the roots of a characteristic quadratic polynomial. These things one should be able to do after Calculus I. Then you have mathematical modeling, which is difficult to get into at first, being used to just writing down numbers and equations and solving for a value. Basically, you must conceptualize a physical process by means of devising a differential equation, then solving for it. It's hard at first, but it's satisfying once you've figured out a formula for how much salt is in a saltwater tank after many hours of filling it with freshwater with a given rate of flow. I won't go into detail for the remainder of the course, mostly because I can't be bothered to explain it right now.

Likes Derp215
PhanthomJay said:
What type of engineering are you interested in? Structural, Environmental, electrical, chemical, mechanical, aeronautical, other??
Thanks for the reply. Chemical.

Eclair_de_XII said:
The first weeks of the class I'm taking involved some things that were easy and some things that were not easy. For example, one would need to be able to understand the concept of integrating factor by the product rule, and finding the roots of a characteristic quadratic polynomial. These things one should be able to do after Calculus I. Then you have mathematical modeling, which is difficult to get into at first, being used to just writing down numbers and equations and solving for a value. Basically, you must conceptualize a physical process by means of devising a differential equation, then solving for it. It's hard at first, but it's satisfying once you've figured out a formula for how much salt is in a saltwater tank after many hours of filling it with freshwater with a given rate of flow. I won't go into detail for the remainder of the course, mostly because I can't be bothered to explain it right now.

I like the idea of using processes to solve problems, however I am nervous about falling into "traps" and making simple mistakes etc. etc.
Thank you for the description, I'm trying to develop some kind of perspective... I need to make up mind very soon!

I would suggest Calc III and Physics II. Every engineer regardless of discipline should have basic knowledge of those 3 Calculus courses and 2 Physics courses (mechanics, electricity, and magnetism). Neither is easy, but not of extreme difficulty. ODE can wait till later, if necessary to take it. You don't want to take Calc III and ODE at the same time.

Related to Reapplying to Engineering: Physics II, Calc II Or ODE?

1. What is the reason for reapplying to engineering courses like Physics II, Calc II, or ODE?

There could be several reasons for reapplying to engineering courses. Some common reasons include not receiving a satisfactory grade in the previous attempt, struggling with the course material, or needing to improve skills for future courses.

2. Is it common for students to have to reapply to these courses?

Reapplying to courses in engineering, especially in subjects like Physics II, Calc II, or ODE, is not uncommon. These courses are known to be challenging and may require additional effort and practice to fully grasp the concepts.

3. What steps should I take before reapplying to these courses?

Before reapplying to these courses, it is important to reflect on the reasons for the previous attempt's outcome. Identify areas of weakness and develop a plan to address them. Seek help from professors, tutors, or study groups to improve understanding and practice regularly.

4. Will reapplying to these courses affect my academic record?

Reapplying to courses in engineering may affect your academic record, as the previous attempt's grade may still be recorded on your transcript. However, some universities may have policies that allow students to replace the previous attempt's grade with the new one upon successful completion of the course.

5. How can I ensure success when reapplying to these courses?

To ensure success when reapplying to these courses, it is crucial to develop a thorough understanding of the course material. Focus on strengthening areas of weakness, seek help from professors or tutors, and practice regularly. It is also important to manage time effectively and stay organized to keep up with course assignments and exams.