Real Analysis Supremum of a Set Proof

This proves the statement for any non-empty set S that is bounded above by a supremum β. In summary, for any ε > 0, there exists a point x in S such that x > β - ε, where β is the supremum of S and S is a non-empty set that is bounded above.
TeenieBopper

Homework Statement

Let S be a non empty set that is bounded about and β = sup S. Prove that for each ε > 0 there exists a point x in S such that x > β - ε.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't really know how to begin this. I know it's true; I'm looking at the problem and I'm like, "Well, duh," but I can't prove it. I know that x ≤ β, and that β - ε ≤ x. Is there more that I have to do?edit: never mind. I'm an idiot. Proof by contradiction makes this really easy.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Suppose that for all x in S, x ≤ β - ε. Then β = inf {x | x ∈ S} ≤ β - ε, which is a contradiction. Thus, there exists an x ∈ S such that x > β - ε.

Related to Real Analysis Supremum of a Set Proof

What is the definition of supremum in real analysis?

The supremum of a set is the smallest upper bound of that set. In other words, it is the lowest possible value that is greater than or equal to all the elements in the set.

How do you prove that a number is the supremum of a set?

To prove that a number is the supremum of a set, you must show that it is an upper bound of the set and that no smaller number can be an upper bound. This can be done using the definition of supremum and the properties of real numbers.

What is the difference between supremum and maximum?

The supremum of a set is the smallest upper bound, while the maximum is the largest element in the set. The supremum may or may not be an actual element of the set, while the maximum is always an element of the set.

Can a set have multiple supremums?

No, a set can have only one supremum. This is because the supremum is defined as the smallest upper bound, so if there were multiple numbers that were all the smallest upper bound, they would all be equal and therefore there would only be one supremum.

What is the relationship between supremum and limit in real analysis?

The supremum and limit are related in that the limit of a sequence is the supremum of the set of all values of the sequence. This means that the limit is the smallest upper bound of the set of values, and any number smaller than the limit cannot be an upper bound.