Reagrding Transfer to another grad school

In summary, one can only transfer if they are a very good student. It is possible to change universities once you've started a graduate program, but you need to be a very good student to pull this off.
helivora
Hello,
I have accepted an admit for fall 2008 at a certain university for phd in physics. even though this is a fairly good university, it was not my first choice (I didnt get admitted to my first choice). My problem was that i did not have physics gre score and i was solely admitted based on my profile. My undergrad background is also of engineering. can anyone tell me if it is possible to take a transfer to one of the top universities once you've already started your graduate studies at an other university? also, will it help much if physics gre score and some of the physics grad courses are added to my profile?

Physics news on Phys.org
There is no such thing as a transfer in graduate school. You apply for admission, same as anyone else. Which classes you have taken you have to retake and which you don't are between you and the university.

As for whether this will help you get in, the only piece of evidence I can offer are that top tier graduate schools are not jam packed with people who spent a year or two in graduate school elsewhere.

It is possible to change universities once you've started a graduate program - but you need to be a very good student to pull this off.

I know one individual who have transferred between Stanford and Harvard and another who transferred to Duke. There are also quite a few people with foreign MScs who transfer into US PhD programs.

It might be useful to contact a prospective supervisor at the school you were hoping to get into to see if they might still be interested in having you as a student.

I have a classmate in my school who transferred to a different graduate school (which happens to be my old undergrad), because there wasn't any cosmology research going on in our department. So yes, it is possible. She even got them to accept the coursework from our department. I'm told this is rare, since most of the masters students who come into our department have to retake all the first year grad courses. Having done my undergrad at the place where my friend is transferring, I happen to know that the teaching style is extremely similar. This might have something to do with it, I'm not really sure.

In any case, make sure this is really what you want to do before you transfer. If you passed your qualifier at your old school, you'll still have to take another qual at your new school. You may also have to retake a lot of courses. I too would like to do cosmology, or perhaps space plasma physics, neither of which is offered at my current school (unfortunately I have rather esoteric research tastes). But after passing one of my department's two written qualifiers and taking a full year of couses, there's no way I'll be leaving now. Having my "dream job" in terms of research just isn't worth studying for more qualifiers and retaking courses like Jackson E&M. After all, I figure that I can always go into cosmology for my postdoc.

Those are my thoughts anyway, just one grad student to another...

I have heard this is extremely rare. i had even mailed schools like Stanford asking about transfers, and they said they absolutely did not encourage transfers. i don't have much physics background, as i am an engineering student so i guess if ido get a transfer around 3rd sem, i won't mind taking courses again. there's an other option for me as well. to do a masters in ee (i ve gotten into columbia u ee) and then apply for physics phd(thats what i ultimately want to do). but i am afraid that that might prove to be a much longer route.

Related to Reagrding Transfer to another grad school

What is the process for transferring to another graduate school?

The process for transferring to another graduate school varies depending on the specific school and program. Generally, you will need to fill out an application, provide transcripts, letters of recommendation, and a personal statement, and potentially attend an interview. You may also need to submit test scores, such as the GRE, and pay an application fee. It is important to carefully review the requirements and deadlines for each school you are interested in transferring to.

Can I transfer credits from my current graduate program to the new one?

This also depends on the policies of the specific graduate schools. Some schools may accept transfer credits, while others may not. It is important to check with the program you are interested in transferring to and see if they have any specific requirements for transferring credits. You may also need to provide course syllabi or other documentation to demonstrate the equivalency of the courses you have taken.

What are the potential benefits of transferring to another graduate school?

Transferring to another graduate school can provide you with new opportunities, such as access to different research projects, faculty, and resources. It could also allow you to relocate to a new area or study a different specialization within your field. Additionally, transferring may help you gain a fresh perspective and challenge yourself academically.

What are the potential challenges of transferring to another graduate school?

One potential challenge of transferring to another graduate school is the adjustment to a new academic environment, including new coursework, faculty, and classmates. There may also be differences in the program requirements and expectations. Additionally, transferring may also require you to move to a new location, which can be financially and emotionally challenging.

How can I ensure a successful transfer to another graduate school?

To ensure a successful transfer, it is important to carefully research and compare different graduate programs and their requirements. You should also make sure to submit a strong application, including a well-written personal statement and letters of recommendation. It may also be helpful to connect with current students or alumni of the program to gain insights and advice. Additionally, make sure to stay organized and on top of deadlines throughout the transfer process.