Ray tracing - how to numerically integrate the equation of the ray

In summary, the conversation discusses the equation d/ds(n dr/ds)) = grad(n) and the integration procedure used to calculate the ray path. The speaker is looking for assistance or resources to improve their method and code for integrating the equation. They also mention checking the unit length of the vector dr/ds and suggest trying higher order Runge Kutta methods if the current method is not working.
carlos-carlos
In a continuous isotropic medium having refractive index n, (not constant)
the ray path can be described by the following equation

d/ds(n dr/ds)) = grad (n)

with an obvious meaning of the symbols (for they who can help me!).

I wrote a code to calculate the ray path. I found result qualitatively consistent but not quantitatively. I think that the integration procedure I used is wrong (I used a simple one,
that I set up on my own).

Can anybody help me?
Can anybody suggest me a paper or book where to read an algorithm?
Has anybody a source code to integrate it? (I would need just the core instructions).

Thanks Bye

Physics news on Phys.org
Just to make sure, the equation you are actually integrating over is the following, correct?

[tex]\frac{d}{ds}\frac{dr}{ds} = \nabla n - \left(\nabla n \cdot \frac{dr}{ds}\right)\frac{dr}{ds}[/tex]

Note that dr/ds is just a unit vector you want as function of s, and the above equation maintains unit length of the vector.

So the thing you should check in your code is if ||dr/ds|| = 1 all the way along the path. If not, you either have an error in the method or the code.

Now, not knowing specifically the kind of function you have for n(r), it's a little hard to say how advanced a method you should be using, but if brute force forward Euler is not working for you, try one of the higher order Runge Kutta methods.

Related to Ray tracing - how to numerically integrate the equation of the ray

1. What is ray tracing and how does it relate to numerical integration?

Ray tracing is a technique used in computer graphics to create realistic images by tracing the path of light rays through a scene. In order to determine the color and intensity of each pixel in the image, the equation of the ray must be numerically integrated, which involves solving the equations of motion for the light rays as they interact with objects in the scene.

2. What is the equation of the ray and how is it used in ray tracing?

The equation of the ray is a mathematical representation of the path of a light ray as it travels through a scene. It takes into account factors such as the direction and intensity of the light source, the position and orientation of objects in the scene, and the properties of the materials that the light interacts with. This equation is used in ray tracing to determine the color and intensity of each pixel in the final image.

3. How is numerical integration used in ray tracing?

Numerical integration is a method used to solve for the trajectory of a light ray as it travels through a scene. This involves breaking down the equations of motion into smaller steps and using numerical methods to approximate the solution at each step. The results of these calculations are then used to determine the color and intensity of each pixel in the final image.

4. What are some limitations of using numerical integration in ray tracing?

One limitation of using numerical integration in ray tracing is that it can be computationally expensive, especially for complex scenes with many objects and light sources. Additionally, numerical methods can introduce errors and artifacts in the final image, which may require additional processing or adjustments to improve the quality of the rendered image.

5. Are there any alternative methods to numerical integration for ray tracing?

Yes, there are alternative methods to numerical integration for ray tracing, such as Monte Carlo integration. This method uses random sampling to approximate the solution, which can be more efficient for certain types of scenes. However, it may also introduce more noise and require additional processing to produce a high-quality image.